Question for 12-14

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Do you use track planning software or pencil and paper (or something else) to create your track plan?

I have used both. First a pencil sketch of what I want to do, and then track planning software to be sure that it will fit in the space I have...

Andrew

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
XTrkcad - cheaper than pencil and paper even, and a darn sight more accurate
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I have tried using at least two of the free track planning software and just got frustrated. I use Turbocad for other things, so I've created my layouts in it just using the 2D functions. I have also sketched out full-sized curves and structure footprints on paper, just to make sure things fit the way they should.

With all this planning, I still find myself pulling up and relaying tracks. wall1

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I'll usually just squiggle a line out on a piece of paper to get an idea of a general mainline plan. Then I use RailModeller on my mac for track planning to lay it out.

I also recently got Empire Express for the mac, but find the interface not as friendly as RailModeller. Although it's a little easier to set min/max radius when using flex track.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Shaun,

Tell me more about your Mac software please! I have an iMac G3 (OS9) and G4 (OSX 10.4) and would like to have something compatible. Right now I rely on a friend with an old PC and XTrkCAD to do my drawings...

Thanks!

Andrew

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
I put in a three track yard. Then I put some buildings on the layout and laid track to them. Then I put in the mainline and passing siding through town. Then I build another town using the same method as above. Then I put in the rest of the mainline to connect the two towns.

In other words, I used neither software or pencil and paper.

Tom

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I'm with Collyn, except I use 3rdPlanit for the trackwork. I'll doodle up some ideas, draw them up on the computer then print out the plan, doodle it to death, adjust the compter plan, print it, doodle it to death and so on. I've been working on the same plan for some months now. I can't get into any benchwork at this time, so I'm just taking my time fiddling around with it. Once the benchwork is up then I'll lay out some track to get a real 3D perspective (3D on the computer just doesn't quite do it).

It's taken time to learn the program, but worth it. It's fun to try different ideas without having to "trace and erase". Eraser crumbs are almost a thing of the past over here.:thumb: