Question for 12-05, track cleaning

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Today's question is all about work. About how much work do you need to do to keep your track in running condition. The question is:

What do you use to keep your track clean, how do you clean it and how often?

I know, I know, this question comes up often, but here's a place we can gather all that good information and maybe move it somewhere where it won't get lost.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
For the track.... I run around a track cleaning car in front of the engine if I have not run in a while. That sems to clean off the top layer of dust. If the dirt is persistant, I use one of them big rectangular rubber eraser thingys. For regular cleanings, I use alcohol on a rag.
For the engine wheels... I use one of those wheel cleaning devices that has the electrical brushes you simply set on top of the track, turn on the power, and move the engine back and forth a little. It does a great job but I have heard that is dangerous as it could scratch the wheels instead compounding the problem.
For rolling stock wheels... again, I use a paper towel soaked in alcohol layed over the top of some track. I then take each car and roll it back and forth 3 or 4 times until it no longer leaves dirty tracks on the towel.

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
I used a soft piece of wood wetted with goo gone to scrape the rails, About twice a week, until I used Wahl clipper oil a month ago. Haven't cleaned the rails since.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I also use the famous Wahl oil. I'll run my masonite block track cleaning car over the layout once in a while to push dust around but since putting a tiny amount of the oil on my track i haven't had to clean rails or loco wheels.
Ralph

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
For the G gauge, I use Wahl oil and I also have a sanding block I drag around by train to loosen the dirt. For the HO I have a M.O.W. track cleaner - and I have that fancy electrical track maintainer that I hooked between the transformer and the track

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I have used everything except the Wahl's oil. I generally run a car equipped with a masonite block followed by a Centerline car with alcohol. I need to do this about once every six weeks unless I run trains every day. Then I can stretch it out. Goo Gone has worked well for me in the past however I have read that it does leave a film on the rails...this was never a problem with me. I keep a Brite-Boy for occasional tough areas. For locos, I use an electric brass brush device made by Kadee. I have also used the alcohol-soaked paper towel on the rails under one truck at a time. Both seem to work the same. I don't really have any issues with freight cars due to the regular track cleaning. On the occasional problem car I use elbow-grease.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I have an old AHM track cleaning car that I replaced the old foam pad with a piece of cloth. I soak it with windshield washer fluid and drag it in front of a Life/Like track cleaning car with it's original scuff pad.
I do this before running trains and have no problems running on brass track.
I will also use a Bright-Boy on the track if I let a layout sit unused for a long period of time.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The only time that I've had to clean track is after doing scenery in the area, particularily ballasting. The layout is in a room by itself, with a door and finished walls and ceiling, although the floor is unpainted concrete. The room is unheated, so there's no ductwork to bring in dust from elsewhere, either. The locos, other than a couple with brass wheels, don't seem to require wheel cleaning either. Freight cars are a mix of mostly plastic wheels, with some metal, and all track is nickel-silver, with all rail joints soldered. Operation has been smooth and reliable for over 15 years. By the way, no bus wires for power distribution, either, on this DC-controlled layout.
By the sound of things, I should consider myself lucky.:thumb:

Wayne