Question for 11-15, what do you buy?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
We want to find out what you buy in the way of equipment for your layout:

Do you always buy new equipment or do you look for bargins in used equipment?

And secondary to that:

If you buy used, does it have to run or even look good, or do you also enjoy restoring it?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
ezdays said:

No, I do not always buy new equipment. Sometimes I buy off e-bay and most of the time the stuff had come straight of a layout.

ezdays said:
If you buy used, does it have to run or even look good, or do you also enjoy restoring it?

No it does not have to run, but if it is freight car, then yes it has to have trucks and wheelsbut if there is no couplers, I don't mind bevcause I have plenty of extras. If it is a engine and it doesn't run, I would still buy it and if I couldn't repair it, I would make it into a dummy.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Very rarely do I buy new equipment, I simply cannot justify the expense though I do have 5-6 new pieces. I buy most all my equipment used. If it is a respected name, I'll even buy it sight unseen and untested as I have no problem with repairs. A box lot at a yard sale simply has no chance around me if I see that there are Athearn and Rivarossi pieces in there.:thumb:

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va

M<ostly as I kit bash or change and repaint things to suit my needs. Sometimes I buy new kits on ebay not sold here loclay.

Some stuff that may prove non funtional I redeem as road side scrap.

I almost quit buying used engines on ebay.

I have two steamers that wont work I weathered to look like junk.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Kits I usually buy new, but I've bought my share of half-built stuff and stuff that never got started but still was not new.

I've got a lot of new engines and new cars, but I've got my share of used ones too. I'm taking my lead from Ray Marinaccio on buying boxed lots of stuff and seeing what you can get to work. There's a certain amount of fun and a lot of pride being able get something you paid $3 for at a train show and make it look and run good.:thumb:

I take my bargins where I can find them. Think about it, why buy something brand new then trying to make it look old? Might just as well start off with something old-looking to begin with. If the price is right that is...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Buildings: Both used and new.

Vehicles: New - no one gets rid of their old ones.

Rolling stock: New

Engines: New...and yes I have a problem buying more than I can possibly run at one time. I do not plan on seeking help or selling any...one day maybe I'll have enough track to run them all.

1/3 of all my rolling stock is 20+ years old from the first time I ventured into Nscale and almost every car still runs well (although all the couplers need changed over to knuckle-type).

I'm still unsure of ebay purchases and if you're really getting something worth the money spent. Plus, I like going to the brick and mortor stores and seeing/running what I'd like to purchase. But with almost all purchases, I check out the going prices and only try to buy what is a good deal.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Most of what I buy is used. more often than not they don't run.
Like Don said. There's a certain amount of fun and a lot of pride being able get something you paid $3 for at a train show and make it look and run good.
Sorry to be such a bad influence Don.:D :D :rolleyes:

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
Yes, I buy new equipment. I also buy used. Or to answer it better, I buy the kind of cars and engines I need, regardless of source.

Condition is improtant. I will not buy locomotives that do not run or have damage. On cars, I will not buy cars that have parts missing or are damaged, unless it's couplers or maybe wheels/trucks.

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
I buy new, used, and abused to restore to their former glory. Is rare that I destroy 1 shell to fix another. I'm currently working on an Athearn sd40-2 frame and shell that I used the drive and trucks for my RPP sd80 on. I'm painting and decalling the sd40 for ns horsehead scheme and will be putting dummy trucks on it for now. (anyone got any for sale???)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ray Marinaccio said:
Most of what I buy is used. more often than not they don't run.
Like Don said. There's a certain amount of fun and a lot of pride being able get something you paid $3 for at a train show and make it look and run good.
Sorry to be such a bad influence Don.:D :D :rolleyes:
Yeah Ray, a few years ago I wouldn't have thought there'd be any pleasure in doing such stuff, but you showed me the way...:thumb: :thumb:

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
I buy everything that comes in sight!!!!! Which was really a problem when I started using Ebay. Bought a lot of stuff that I dont think I will ever use. I buy new old stock engines mostly but just bought a new bachmann dcc equipped 70 tonner from the LHS, couldnt resist the little bugger. Most cars come from swap meets or Ebay in lots. I like to buy used stuff at $2-$3/car and fix them up nice. Its fun! After all that is what its all about!!!

Cory

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Anybody who's seen pictures of my layout knows that I'm a big fan of the bargain table, and I also have my share of garage sale treasures. I have quite a bit of stuff that I bought new years ago, and I'll still buy new if I really "need" it. However, new or used, it goes through the shop for upgrades, repairs, repaint, or whatever else it needs that will also give me some extra modelling enjoyment.

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I look for Santa Fe prototype or something easily kitbashed into a model close to a Santa Fe prototype. I like steam engines, but the Santa Fe didn't run any USRA equipment and most of the model steam engines are USRA because the same body can be used for a light Pacific or a light Mikado and a lot of railroads used USRA designs. I also watch my pennies. I bought my Firebird for $400.00, I probably have $5k-$6k into it fixing it up, but the idea of spending as much for a locomotive as I spent for my car seems a bit out of kilter to me. In other words BLI or brass is out of my price range!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I buy both new and use..I prefer Athearn and Atlas products.As far as use locomotives I am like a real short line chief mechanical officer.I buy locomotives that are operable and in fairly good shape.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I like all of the above.

Since my first choice, On3 DSP&P is pretty much impossible to find even in kit form, I don't generally have the option of buying new or used...but rather stryene. I have built some Grandt Line kits...which I love...and I have an old Don Winter DSP&P way car kit.

I plan on building stuff that isn't comercially available...NKP 4-6-2s. 4-6-0s, passenger cars, and everything DSP&P. I don't plan on scratchbuilding any NKP hudsons, berks, or mikes but rather purchasing brass and plastic...I still need 7 more NKP hudsons ;-) I'll probably scratch build mason bogies since the components are available and the brass engines are just too expensive by comparison.

I guess my rule is, since I have very specific goals, is to buy what I can and build what I can't. The building is the most fun part for me, not operating, but I would like to have sectional model railroads of each road with the appropriate motive power, passenger cars, and freight cars.