Question about the Curtiss P-40N

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by sparrowhawk, Sep 8, 2006.

1. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

I am in the process of building a P-40N by Model Fan. Build processing smoothly so far, this is an easy one. Parts fit together quite well. You can see my (partly english) building report here:

Now I reached the lower portion of the fuselage beneath the main wing. This is dominated by a long semicircular tube starting from the engine radiator´s air outlet gills and finishing behind the wing´s trailing edge with a hole close to the end. Can any of you aviation buffs tell me the purpose of it? I haven´t yet found any information on it.

Many thanks already now!

Greetings, Martin
  2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Can't anwer your question. But I wanted to ask you, where did you get the P-40 from? It seems like a high quality model.

Your build seems great. I hope you can post a pic of the finished model here.

Thanks in advance.
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Oh, never mind. I found one P-40 Kittyhawk in Lighthouse ModelArt.

But post pictures, please!
  4. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

milenio3 and Golden Bear:
    Thanks for your suggestions. AFAIK the air intake above the cowling is for the downdraught carburettor of the Allison engine. I rather guess it was the air outlet for the oil cooler. This is supported by the fact that quite some P-40´s show dark oil smudges in the area around the rear air outlet and that the oil cooler radiator was the middle one of those 3 barrel shaped radiators beneath the engine.

This Model Fan kit comes together with a neat Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien which I built some time ago. As it appeared in August 1998 chances are this kit is getting rare. You can still get it a Very comprehensive list of models in PDF to be downloaded (click the tab "Einkauf") to get it, very friendly and helpful people. It is actually a rather easy kit but makes for a really eye-pleasing model. I will post a pic of it as sonn as it is finished, but due to high workload this may still take some time.

Greetings, Martin
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

It might be the fuel overflow piping..., -Gil
  6. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Sounds highly convincing. Let´s see if there is any P-40 freak about who can give us absolute certainty.
  7. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

O.K., got it:
    On page 68/69 of "American Warplanes of World War II" (Grange Books, edited by David Donald) is a structural drawing of the P-40. There it says "Hydraulic system vent and drain".

Greetings, Martin
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi Martin,

I looked at drawings by Peter M. Bowers in which he indicates it to be a fuel drain and vent.

9. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

The P-40 is finished. In fact, I have been building 2 of them in quick succession as I feel this to be a very efficient way of learning. I included some pics below this post. Both aircraft are exactly the same save for the colours. I built the green one first. Following this came the one in aluminium finish as I did not want to mess it up: I think the pure, simple alu finish enhances the rather beautiful lines of this classic fighter as the "shark mouth" of the olive one tends to attract all of the attention. Also, this alum finish is far more easier to mess up than the olive drab scheme.

My next project will be souped up old kit of the Commonwealth Boomerang. As this one is quite nicely drawn, but with completely wrong colours, I will have to scan it first, then do some Photoshop work on the colours and print and build it afterwards. Also I want to do some work on the P&W Twin Wasp engine which is just a black disc with this kit. Fortunately there is the lovely Curtiss P-36 in french colours by Answer ModelArt with a decently detailed engine. Should not be too difficult to do a quick "engine change" ;)

Greetings, Martin

Attached Files:

10. David H

David H Member

Cool Builds.

I have nearly finished the ModelFan Hawker Hurricane and I wish it was half as good as one of your P40s! Me 109 next, perhaps I shall do better work!

11. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Yeah, I built both aircraft of this kit some 6 years ago too. Those were my 1st polish cardboard models in 1:33, the results reflected quite well:
    I never had built a "double bulkhead" aircraft before. Quite recently, I bought this kit again to make things better. I remember to have had some troubles with the "Emil", but the Hurricane went together well.
  12. David H

David H Member

It is my first bulkhead to bulkhead attempt and it looks it. From a distance it OK closer tham 5m and my lack of skill begins to show... To ashamed to post a picture!

None the less I am going to build a series of Hawker's prototypes so a Tempest or Typhoon as soon as the Me109 is well underway. Oh and a different publisher!