question about steam and radius

mummert

I recently bought a 2-6-0 steam engine off ebay for a little bit of nothing. The engine itself does not work so good (get what you pay for) but it almost completely stops on the turns. The tightest turns on my layout are 11". I guess my question is do you think the turns are to tight or just a bad engine? I only got this engine because it was cheap but when I eventually get the engine I want I want to make sure it works. I would really like to get a 4-8-4 mikado but I'm sure that wont work on 11" curves. If I get a good quality 2-6-0 will it work or do I need to look more at 0-4-0. My layout is primarily modern day but would like to have a train station with a stream engine for the tourists of the area.:mrgreen:

ARGH

I'm guessing you have the MP 2-6-0. I had a similar problem with mine. When I first got it, I put it on a 11" test oval. It would stall at the same spot each time around. A check of the wheel gauge revealed no problems so I more closely checked the track (Kato) and found that the track joint where the loco stalled was very slightly out of gauge on the negative side. I had run other steam locos through the same spot with no apparent problem but the 2-6-0 just wouldn't go. I changed out the two track pieces and the problem was solved. Still, the 2-6-0 likes 12" or broader curves better. ???

George