Question about Remote Control Switch

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by UncleJim, Nov 30, 2006.

1. UncleJim

UncleJim New Member

I'm a newbie and have an 027 three-rail train set that I'm just starting to set up. I want to buy some additional track so I can make a larger layout. My local hobby shop wants $47.00 for an 027 remote control switch (27 inch left or right hand). I searched on the internet and found the same switch selling for $19.00. Both are brand new and made by Lionel. Is there really that much of a price difference between retail stores and the internet? The internet website will add $8.00 for shipping and handling but even so, it's a lot cheaper. Or is there something else I'm not taking into consideration if i buy through the internet? Do most all of you buy your train supplies from the internet?
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

The Lionel catalog list price for 027 remote switches at $19.99. Maybe you beter find a new local store to shop at.
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

$47 is awfully high. I try to buy locally for a couple of reasons, one being the ultruistic wish to support my local economy as much as I can, but secondly, I've got three really good hobby shops with friendly and helpful staff 10 minutes away or less and I'd like to keep it that way. :) But all of them keep their prices fair too.

I have ordered online before when they didn't have something I wanted, or when there was just too much of a price difference. If you can't get what you need at a reasonable price from your local dealer or a local show, then by all means, buy it online.

If you're comfortable doing this, you can ask your local dealer the same question you asked us--why does he charge $47 for a switch when retail is $20 and some places will sell it for $19. Maybe there's something we're missing, or maybe he'll come down. I hate confrontation so I tend not to do this, but some people will.

If you do have to order online, find out how much stuff they'll ship for your $8. Often the $8 is a minimum, so shipping on two switches might be the same or not much more, so if you know you're going to be needing a lot, go ahead and order as much of it at once as you can.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

are you sure the 2 switches are the same thing? i know with the lionel fast track there is switches anywhere from 20.00 to 60 or 70.00 bucks, depending on what type of switch you want.
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

6. tracman165

tracman165 New Member

I tend to agree with ozzy and cannonball, just read the condition on the
    ebay items, the rust can be cleaned and most sellers have a return
    policy. Just make sure in working condition.
  7. tracman165

tracman165 New Member

Added note, some you will find without a controller, but this can be cheaply
    remedied at radio shack with a SPDT switch? I think thats what its called.
    Any way its a 3 way switch, one popsition being neutral.