Question about pepakura

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by PModel Rookie, Oct 28, 2008.

1. PModel Rookie

PModel Rookie Member

Hello,I just want to know.

I'm planning to get pepakura viewer and designer.My question is,should I get it?I mean,is the designing will be a whole lot easier with pepakura or you just need to shape the model yourself(the 3D model viewer on the left)?
  2. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

You can try the Pep for free and the make your mind up.

I don't know if designing will be easier with pep as I only use to unfold. I do all my designing in Meta.

Cheers JTF
  3. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

pep is not a 3d modeling tool. only very simple edits can be done. you will still need a modeling program to make or edit models. (there are several very good free ones.) i as well only use it for the unfolding.
  4. PModel Rookie

PModel Rookie Member

Unfolding?How did you do that?take a few pictures of finished models from each side and process at pep?

BTW,how do you open a pdo file?using pep?
  5. eric_son

eric_son Member

First you produce your 3d model using a compatible modeling program (e.g. Metasequoia or Sketchup). Once done, you open the 3D model file in Pepakura.

Pepakura will then display your 3d model. In the 3d model display, you then tell pepakura which edges are going to be cut and which will stay adjacent. Once you're done selecting the edges, you can tell Pepakura to begin unfolding (or unrolling).

After unfolding, you'll also have to do some refinements/adjustments. After that, you're all set to print out the model in cardboard.

In the demo version of pepakura, you can do all the steps mentioned above. The only thing you can't do is save your work.
  6. PModel Rookie

PModel Rookie Member

Is Metasequoia free?If it is,Where should I get one?

About pep,Is it free(designer and viewer)?

In case you didn't know yet,I don't have an online account...
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Meta has a free edition and can be used just fine.
    Pepakura DESIGNER isn't, but doesn't cost a lot. Try downloading the demo and see what you can do with it ;)

--And no, to this day we are still yet to see something which takes a 3-view and simply converts it into a 3d model...
  8. wrussd

wrussd New Member

9. Jack Shet

Jack Shet New Member

I am also interested in Pepakura , does any one have advice as to what software a novice should begin with?
  10. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Meta lite for 3D design.

Gimp for textures.

Pepakura for unfolding.

All free/free demo

Cheers JTF
  11. eric_son

eric_son Member

Another good alternative for textures is Inkscape. It's also free.
    But it does run a bit slow at times, especially when you try to feather the edges of your shapes to simulate spray painted camo.
  12. noscire8

noscire8 New Member

what version of google sketch-up is compatible iwth pepakura 3.0.7?
  13. eric_son

eric_son Member

As far as Sketchup is concerned, Pepakura only supports the Google Earth 4 (*.kmz, *.kml) format. I don't think it supports the native SKP format.
  14. jim_bow

jim_bow New Member

I came across Blender when I wanted to make some models for Fallout 3 and I've been using that for the 3d modelling side of things. It's quite easy to use and it's free, I don't know how it compares with Metasequoia though. The I use the GIMP to make the textures and Pepakura to unwrap it.

If you go with blender I recommend the tutorials in the Noob to Pro free Ebook here: They really helped me a lot.

Hope this helps,