Question about Netbooks running Pepakura

Discussion in 'Software' started by clif52, Sep 12, 2012.

1. clif52

clif52 Banned

Does anyone know if one of the small Netbook computers would have enough power to run the Pepakura reader program, and be able to print to PDF.

2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Why don't you just try it? Or have you not purchased the machine yet? Netbooks are rarely worth purchasing, I would save the $100 or so more and get an inexpensive laptop. Acer has some really nice inexpensive ones in their "Aspire" line. :)
  3. clif52

clif52 Banned

I was thinking about using it with my telescope since it has a digital camera with it. I just thought the small size would make it easier to carry with the telescope. If I could use it for printing pdo to pdf and my wife could use it for a word processor to write her stories it would have multiple uses. I talked to a local computer repair shop that usually sells used ones for $150.00.

4. cchambers47201

cchambers47201 New Member

from what i found on the software,
    В· CPU: Intel and compatible CPU, Pentium 200MHz or greater(350MHz or greater recommended)
    В· Memory: 64MB (128MB or more recommended)
    В· HDD: 150MB or more free space
    В· Video Output: Resolution 800x600 pixels, 65,536 color or greater
    В· You need a printer to print developments.

reading that, you should have no problems. i personally would go with a small laptop over netbook, and if you are wanting to use it with a telescope i am guessing you would be running it for several hours possibly, and often you need to really watch out for them overheating. you might consider a refurbed or used laptop, you can find several models for the $150 range. i use a laptop / tablet that works quite well. just my two cents
  5. Wojtee

Wojtee Member

I am running Pepakura Viewer on Asus EEE 1008 HA (Atom 1,667 GHz, 1 GB RAM, some internal Intel Videocard, Win7) without problems.
    It is an older program, after all, and more or less stays the same. You could easily run that on a smartphone (if someone did it for the ´droid or iThing), I guess :)
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Wojtee, Thank You for this very precise data. I think it will be of use to many people. My sincere Thanks!! :)
  7. clif52

clif52 Banned

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to check into the netbook vs the laptop and see what I can find for a good price.