Question about "glue onto cardstock"

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by BARX2, Mar 11, 2007.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I've seen a number of card model plans (including Leo's Polyus) that note that certain pieces should be glued onto cardstock. Assuming you're printing the model onto cardstock to begin with, does this mean to glue those pieces onto an additional thickness of cardstock? Or should this only be done if the model is printed onto ordinary paper?
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That depends on the part. Former pieces usually go on 1mm cardstock. I have some pieces on my current build that call for 3mm cardstock....
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I use 3mm a lot, works wonders on parts/models that are prone to warping
  4. charliec

charliec Active Member

That's usually the intent of the designer. I guess you have concerns about the difference in thickness of, say, 160 gsm card versus 80 gsm copy paper (*). The thickness difference doesn't scale linearly with the increase in density. A quick measurement on paper/card gave me 80 gsm - 0.1mm, 160 gsm - 0.15mm.

Bottom line - just do what the designer asks - the thickness differences are usually small and probably accommodated in the design anyway.

* - I won't attempt a translation into US units.

5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I feel really stupid asking this but 1 mm card stock isn't .03937" inches thick?
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yes it is. or .o4 for those with regular vision.:grin:

7. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Now for the super-complex, near insane, computer generated, perfectionist version.

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Also of note is two papers of the same weight can have different densities resulting in different thickness. It is purely a measure of how much the paper weighs.
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I am a machinists (amongst other things my wife would insist) that was why I asked. I think I am going to start using all the left over balsa I have for some of my personal models. I have some pretty big sheets so mines as well not let it go to waste. I wouldn't know where to get paper stock that big (.040") locally . Thanks for the answers.
  10. SteveM

SteveM Member

Comic book stores. Ask for "backer boards", very close to 1mm thick.
  11. papertrain

papertrain Member

if you have a scrap book store near you they have all kinds of 110 LB card stock in 12x12 sheets
  12. charliec

charliec Active Member

Even easier - cereal boxes are about 0.5 mm - laminate up to the desired thickness. There are plenty of posts on laminating card on this forum. Manilla folders are a little over 0.3 mm if you don't use cereal.