Question about enlargements

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Wily, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Wily

Wily Member

In my opinion, ModelArt kits are among the best engineered kits marketed today. They're a joy to build and build again.

That in mind, I found my 1/32 Hellcat on my HD and decided to try opening a page in a vector-editing program and was surprised to discover that it opened!

Now, I can "fix" what I believe to be ModelArt's only deficiency - coloring.

However, I'd like to enlarge the kit, too. Probably to 1/16 scale.

Aside from the structural dynamics of paper thickness, are there any other issues I should be aware of before I make these enlargements? I plan on printing the airplane onto 100# 11x17 cardstock.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Emil_Zarkov

Emil_Zarkov Member

Hello Wily,
    If you’ll intend to magnify the kit’s scale twice, you can still use the existing kit’s geometry unchanged. Note only that the formers and the other structural parts are drawn with about 0.3 mm inside their theoretic shape for places where the parts are connected with stripes, and 0.15 mm clearance for former to former construction joint. You’ll need to have in mind these clearances, if you’ll like your parts to join like a LEGO.
    The main problem is not in the geometry, but in two other invisible at the first glance aspects.
    The first one concerns structural stress problems. If you scale the linear dimensions of your model twice, the area of the each cross sections of its reinforcement element will grow 4 times, and the volume of the model or its weight will grow 8 times. If we assume that the each construction element’s stress is proportional to the ratio cross area / weight, you’ll find that the stress also grows two times.
    In your case the overall construction is strong enough to receive the enlargement without any changes. But if you prefer to build the swing wing mechanism, you’ll have to reinforce it. This holds true for the lending gear.
    The second aspect concerns the detailing and is very important if the visual similarity between the model and the real thing is your goal. This follows by the fact that the resolution of the model’s parts’ areas grows twice. That means that many small details like rivets, screws, small warning and maintenance signs are below the original scale resolution. So you’ll have to add some details especially to the cockpit interior.
    About coloring: I made the color scheme a bit lighter then the original colors intended, trying to achieve the necessary contrast between the base color and the painted in black details’ lines.
    In conclusion: Just go on…
    Emil Zarkov, ModelArt
  3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Welcome, Dr. Zarkov. :)
  4. Wily

Wily Member

Thank you, Dr. Zarkov.

Your kits are among the best engineered and designed.

Thank you too for the lesson in physics, too.

Lastly - and this is off the subject, but if you ever do another variation of the P-51, please consider a blue-nosed version of the 352nd Fighter Group. Many of the surviving pilots are personal friends of mine. Additionally, I've produced a limited edition series of pilot-signed prints - if you do a "bluenosed" P-51, I'd be happy to donate my services in the pursuit of creating a kit that is utterly authentic and endorsed by the real veterans.

I can offer the same services for the 311th Fighter Group as well (China-Burma).

5. Emil_Zarkov

Emil_Zarkov Member

Hello Wily,
    After more then a year I’m returning back to the card models design.
    If you can send me some information about the exact color scheme of 352 FG P-51, I’ll see what can I do.
    Best regards to all,
    Emil Zarkov, ModelArt