Question about benchwork?

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Hey guys, I have a 6x11 space and i would like to know what type of bench work would be best for my HO Scale Southern Pennsylvania Lines model railroad. I am still in the planning stages but i would like to know ahead of time that way i will not be stuck with what kind of bench work i should use. Thanks in advance. :wave: :wave: :wave:

mennellrm

Sep 7, 2004
Dryden, Ontario
I would say that the first thing to do is to decide on a track plan. The type of benchwork will in large part be determined by the plan. Get some squared paper, and draw about 40 or 50 plans that will fit your space. Will your road be point to point, two levels, around the walls, or what? Once you have a plan, you can draw it out on large sheets of paper (full size) on the floor of your space to make sure that everything will fit. Then you could submit the plan to the trackplanning section of The Gauge for comment and suggestions. There is a lot of experience and expertise here. You will get some good ideas. Once you have done all this you will be ready to start serious construction and then we can start to consider open grid, L girder, cooky-cutter or whatever. There is a great temptation to rush into your first project but rushing rarely results in getting the best you can in the space you have!! Don't ask me how I know this.
Post some plans.
Have fun.
Ralph

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Pick up the book "Model Railroad benchwork" by Linn H. Westcott, available through Kalmbach Books. it should give you ideas on what to do as well as various basic ways of doing your benchwork.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The type of benchwork will depend on the sort of railroad you plan. If you have a fairly flat area (City or rly yards), you can get away with a flat top. If it's a single track out in the country, you need a narrow track bed and lots of room for scenery.
L girder gives lots of flexibility and can be used with flat top plywood.