question about a lift gate....

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hello all, im considering adding a swing up gate to my layout, but im not sure how to do it. the space i need one is around a 45 degree turn. is it possible to have a swing gate in a place like this? i thought they had to be installed in a straight section. how wide should one be also? any information concerning this is appreciated. thanks!:confused:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
They can be installed on a curve, it's just much easier to do in on the straight. I'll be looking thru some back issues of MR magazine to find some articles on ones built in the past.

F

Fred_M

In my head I can see how building a hinged lift in a curve could be easier. Mount the hinge pin at or above track level and have the cut out section lift the other side at a 90 degree angle to the hinges. No binding problems. Build a pin and tapered slot guide plate to realign the track when its closed on the lifting side, the hinges will keep the hinged end aligned. That should work fine. Have you already laid the track? If not screw in flathead brass screws under the track and solder it to the screw heads. Then when you cut the track at the interface the screws at each side keep it in perfect alignment. Fred

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
thanks fred, for the information. no, i havent laid the track there yet. im not quite sure what you mean by useing screws and soldering the rail to them. do you have a picture of what your talking about? thanks!

F

Fred_M

No pictures, but at the joints you put a brass flat head screw on each side under each rail about 1/4 inch from where the cut will be. You do this carefully so that the rail just touches the screw head when it's layed. You then solder the track to the screws and then cut the track with a dremel. The screws will keep the track in perfect alignment. It's an old trick from wayback. Fred

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Please send me your email address. While this is for a drop type, all the principles are the same, you may even want to consider it for your particular location.

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hey everyone, would anyone have any ideas on how would be the best way to go about building this lift/swing gate? whats really messin me up is that the two ends of the bench work are off set to each other, and im really not that smart when it comes to carpentry work, so any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks everyone!:confused:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
How about a drawing that's as accurate as possible? The idea being that your mainline will have to approach the gap from the rear of either side. You may have to mitre the ends somewhat as well.

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hello Shaygetz, here is a rough drawing of the benchwork and where i need to put a swing gate. the measurements are pretty much exact, but sorry about the sloppiness.:eek:ops: thanks guys, this meens a lot to me!:wave:

Attachments

• SWING GATE KOCATION.jpg
    SWING GATE KOCATION.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 43

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Looks like you were busy makin' yer bridge. I can see a few problems with your bridge the way you have made it. :confused:

The first thing I see is that you are hinging the bridge on a 45 degree angle. This will mean when the bridge is open it will stick out into the room.

Also I think it is on the large side. Once you get it covered with track and scenery, it's going to only weigh more, and could be un- wealdy and down right dangerous if it was to fall closed by accident.

Here is what I think you should do. Make 2 triangle extensions for the bench (orange on my plan) Then make your bridge square. This will make your tracks line up easier and the bridge wont be to heavy. When it opens, it will be out of the way.

Just what I think. :rolleyes:

TrainClown :wave:

Attachments

• TS bridge.jpg
    TS bridge.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 33