Quality of turnouts

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by wickman, Mar 30, 2006.

1. wickman

wickman Member

I'm shopping around for new turnouts for my layout it is DCC run and I
    would like to know which type of turnout is going to perform better
    and look better a peco , walthers shinohara , or NMRA I already have
    used the Atlas turnouts. My plan was doen in xtrkcad program and most
    of the turnouts I used were peco and shinohara.
    my layout is HO scale and I will be using tortoise switches on all of
    Which type of turnout would I get as well Insulfrog?
    I would also like to find a good retailer with descent prices I need
    quite a few of which ever type I decide to go with .
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The defacto standard for my local modular club has always been code100 Peco insulfrog. I don't think anyone have ever complained about them operationally, but there are differing opinions on appearance ;)

I used Atlas snap switches for my first 4x8 layout. They have plastic frogs, and other than a few stalls (which were rectified by better pickups on the locos) they worked fine. I also had one Custom Line wye, and it was good too.

A friend uses MicroEngineering track and switches exclusively on his layout. The one electrofrog he had (I think it is ME) had to be rewired to work properly.

I plan to use the "new" (DCC-friendly) Code 83 Walthers/Shinohara turnouts on my new modules. I have heard favourable reviews from club members, and their appearance is great. I will modify them with either a throw bar spring or ground throw in order to keep them closed (normal or reverse as the case may be).

Hope that helps.

3. billwv

billwv Member

See my reply to your post in DCC Forum.

I highly suggest you read the info at Loys--link in my other reply.

4. RevnJeff

RevnJeff New Member

I use nothing but Atlas CustomLine turnouts. With DCC, I have no problems operationally. Even with short wheelbase locomotives, I dont have any troubles.

I use a small spring to hold the points so I can throw the turnouts manually.