Quality of These Engines

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by SandΦMan, Jun 27, 2006.

1. SandΦMan

SandΦMan New Member

Hello all, this is my first post here and i have very very little experince with model RR'ing (if around the christmas tree counts). A few years ago, before moving to the east coast my best friend's father gave me a couple engines because when ever i went over to their house i was always interested about his "train stuff". Ive always been drawn tward mechanical things, like trains, trucks, dirtbikes which i now race in the desert, and those nitro off road remote control trucks.

Alright, if i were to have a whole model RR, it would probably be set in the desert out in southern california. The reason i say if, is because right now i live in san deigo, and to occupie sq footage of a house with train stuff, well, would be a waste of money. My friends dad gave me three engines.

Engine 1
    Pic One
    Pic Two

Engine 2
    Pic One
    Pic Two

Engine 3
    Pic One Part A
    Pic One Part B
    Pic Two
    Pic Three

sorry for the dust...... theyve been in im closet for a while.....
  2. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Well, my experience is with diesel locos so I can't tell you about Engine #3... But Engine #1 and #2 are very good locomotives.

Engine #1 is a GP38-2 made by Athearn, and Athearns are very rugged, easy to maintain, reliable, and will last darn near forever if you take care of them right. I got 15 of these Athearn GP38-2s on my roster, some of which has been around since 1988, and they still run as good as the day I bought them.

Engine #2 is an SD45 made by Bachmann, and it looks like it's their higher-quality Spectrum line. Also reliable, somewhat more delicate than the Athearns, but will run good if you maintain it right.

Looks like you are off to a great start.
  3. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Welcome aboard! I agree with LITom's assessment of the Atherans. I have six and all run well.
  4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: #3 looks like a Bachmann plus its a ok loco much better than there first steam locos.