Q for Ray M. Driver quartering.

N

nachoman

I've got an MDC HOn3 loco that the wheels are slipping on the axles. It is the wheels with the brass centers that are slipping. Since you are the resident loco repair expert, I was hoping you could give me advice on how to repair this.

Thanks,
Kevin

Ray Marinaccio

I've solved this problem in a few different manors.
On one loco I drilled a hole on the driver to axle seam to create a keyway, then pressed a brass pin into it.
On others I filed groves in the axle and the hole in the driver, applied JB weld, pressed it together and let it set up.
In either case it was important to get them in perfect quarter as it would require removing the oposite driver to make corrections and risk ending up with another loose driver.
The ideal solution of course would be to replace the wheelset with a new set but that isn't always possible or cost effective.

hminky

I use a pair of side cutter pliers and squeeze a groove into the axle for loose drivers and gears. I use the NWSL Quarterer for quartering.

Harold

doctorwayne

Like Harold, I also use the NWSL quartering jig, although it is possible to get acceptable quartering "by-eye". If the driver is not overly sloppy on the axle, it's possible to "upset" the end by placing it (the axle end only) on a coarse mill file, then, using a similar file laid across the top of the axle and parallel to the first file, rolling the axle by moving the upper file. If the offending driver is not part of the current collection system, a drop of ca or Loctite will further secure the quartered driver.

Wayne

pgandw

Getting quartering exactly 90 degrees is not as important as getting the quartering to be exactly the same on all driver sets. If one set is quartered slightly differently than the others, there will be a slight bind as the rods go around.

I find it's best to test for binds by rolling the mechanism, minus the motor and and all gears but the one on the driver axle, on a sheet of plate glass. This will also help detect if any of the axle slots (or springing if there is any) are off.

just my thoughts and experiences