Putting sound in a Proto 2000 GP-30

electric130

Aug 30, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I just bought a Proto 2000 in a roadname that ran by my house growing up. they were sold out of the DCC and sound versions, so i bought the standard one. i've searched around some, but didn't find anything specific. what would be a compatible decoder and sound system to put in here? i'm very new to DCC and don't know what decoders will fit. anyone done a decoder and sound in these?

L

lester perry

sound traxx makes decoders for gp7gp9 and I think gp30 proto2000 that is very easy to install the only part you may be uncomfotable with is you will have to connect(solder) the speaker to it but it is easy to do. you will also have to cut away some of the wieght to make room for the speaker, when you do this give it a good washing before you re-install it to remove any metal shavings. oh yeah and make sure it is dry. may sound big but it isn't.check this site for more info SoundTraxx Home Page
les

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
No matter which sound decoder you decide to go with (Soundtraxx, ESU LokSound, MRC Brilliance), you're going to have to figure out how you're going to squeeze a speaker into the unit as well. The chassis for the sound units has space milled into it for the speakers. Yours will probably have an open space somewhere near the cab, but apart from that, you're likely going to have to do some modifying.

The speaker needs to be in an enclosure so it can pressurize a sufficient volume of air to sound good. An open speaker sounds really thin and tinny.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Soundtraxx, ESU and MRC all offer enclosures for their speakers. The trick is in getting them to fit. If you can't you need to make your own out of styrene.