Put down the "white" glue and back away

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Bowdenja, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Guys,

I've been experimenting with the glues made mostly for woodworking on my card models. I'm impressed! I started with Super Glue Brand of Woodworking Glue and have moved to Titebond Brand.

I'm using this for all applications where I used either PVA or Tacky glue and I like the "yellowish" woodworking glue better than both.

It goes on easy like Elmer's and is tacky like Aileen's, BUT it sets up way faster, almose CA speed. (almost I said), so I'm putting this out here to see if some other adventuresome sole will back up my findings........ so to speak.

I haven't tried the Elmer's brand or woodworkes glue yet but that will be next.

Let me know if this peaks anyones curiousity and if anyone else tries it. OR if there is any reason I should not be using this for my models. So far I have not sen any drawbacks. i.e. none of my recent builds has exploded back into parts yet.

The good I've noticed are:

Dosen't leave as much resedue on the outter covering. Wipes off without the model being covered with laquer or polyurethaine

Flows well from my applicator

Tacks well but it allows adjustment

Dries VERY fast and is not brittle, like super glue.

Anyway........... just thought I thoss this out.

2. AdamN

AdamN Member

I can't I have used many of the glues your suggesting, but I have been using the blue elmers gel glue for all the same reasons you mention the woodworking glues.

Squeezing it out of a medicine siringe with the hobby tip has been just the ticket for me since I discovered it. It dries clear, is very tacky and stays where you put it.

Not sure if anyone else has discoverd this or not, but I thought I would throw it in with John's tips just to spread the knowledge.

Good luck all.

3. hpept

hpept Member

Back in time i've used a yellowish aliphatic glue. I bought it in a model shop and is generally used to glue balsa wood. Performance was comparable to white glue in glueing paper, while it's way better for wood as the unions are solid rock (balsa breaks close to the joint). I moved to white glue cause the model shop closed and i was not able to find this glue anymore; now here in Brasil, white glue is the only i can find (i can't even find a shop that sells cutting mats). Wish i brought my tools with me...
  4. silverw

silverw Member

wood glue?

Hey John...

When I started glueing paper together....I just happened to have this.... it has always worked...nice and thick...dries clear and sort of like plastic.

This jug is still about half full, so it could be quite some time till I even get to try Elmers!!

5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've been buying glue and haven't decided on the best. I like Loctite gel control for CA. I know that CA is brittle so I use it only when I need instant hold.
    Elmers glue pen--Seems good but a bit messy and I'm unsure of durability.
    White glue--I like it but it's messy.It's nice if I want the paper slightly damp.
    Yes glue--Seems good but is hard to cut through if I laminate then cut.
    cornstarch--Great for wet-working paper.
    PVA--I'm trying to use this since the kind of bought is sold as archival.
    Titebond waterproof--Haven't tried it much yet.
    Liquid Nails perfect glue--bought it but haven't tried it.
    J-B Weld--tried it for metal. Seems to work as advertized
    Gorilla glue--bought it but haven't tried it.
  6. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Dont think the gorilla glue will be any good for models. The instructions state that it expands and I can tell you that it does! Works great on metal though.
    I am currently using Scotch Quick-Dry Tacky Glue made by 3M and it seems to be extremly good. It is tacky, dries clear and fast, any mess has been able to be removed with no damage to the color on parts, and it is flexibl after drying. Not sure on the longevity but it is acid free has a fine tip built onto the bottle so no need to transfer it to an applicator.
  7. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've use gorilla glue on wood and yep it expands and makes a mess.

I also decided to take apart some masonite that I'd laminated to particle board with gorilla glue. The masonite got sacrificed and I did get the gorilla glue off by using a putty knife driven with a hammer. It seemed to help to get the wood wet.
    I haven't tried it on paper. Who knows their might be something interesting in how it bubbles and expands.
    I shifted from Yes to PVA on todays project. Yes is coming out ahead. PVA does this sort of peeling and flaking.
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Gorilla glue? Bison glue. Fish glue. Horse glue. Anyone else remember banana oil? Or shellac? My first airfix kit was assembled with some evil brown stuff I think called Lepages. Shudder!

Tim P
  9. k5083

k5083 Member

I have been using something called "foam glue" from the craft store; the particular one I'm using now comes in a purple tube and is called "Hold the Foam." Sounds similar to the tacky white glues people are describing: has good tack, bonds solid in about 5 minutes, doesn't wet the paper too much, and doesn't leave as much residue on the finish as Elmers. It bonds strong enough that with care, I can butt-join the edges of two tubes without any connecting strips. Handy for things like the front few rings of a radial engine cowling.

10. angevine

angevine Member

I have managed to find a really good glue which we use at work to bind books together with and its actually a cheap PVA glue.

It is made by a company call Ivanhoe and comes in 1 litre pots. I find applying it to the paper via a cotton bud puts just the right amount of glue onto the model without over doing it! Hold for about 5 seconds and its stuck. Lovelly!

No film left on the model either.

Hell, if it will hold a 900 page training book together, which has constant opening and closing, it should hold a static model together for a long long time!
  11. goney3

goney3 Member

My vote is for Mono Aqua Glue.

Plus its cheap... under $3 :D
    And the pen tip works GREAT when working with tiny paper models. Its pleasant to work with, and so far my models hold together very well.