Purchased kit ettiquette

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, Sep 20, 2006.

1. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

I personaly call a designer of a paper model for some unrelated questions
    and He told me to make as many copy as needed if it help build the model
    and to be honest with you I do not think this will go to the suprem court :grin:
  2. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

I don't have many printed kits but the ones I do have will certianly be scanned considering how they are rare Japanese Anime kits no longer produced and go for bout $100 each. I certianly don't have flawless skills and messing up a part on them would hurt considerably.

On the buy one build one aspect I disagree. If you buy an electronic file are you then only entitled to build it once per purchase??? seems to me no diffrent if you copy a printed kit multiple times for a (personal) fleet of models :D

Getter 1
  3. SteveM

SteveM Member

I find that most people who claim "fair use" have little understanding of that term. "Fair use" applies to copying small sections of a work for purposes of literary criticism or discussion. It never applies to copying entire works. The other thing is that there is no "fair use" provision actually written into the law that gives one permission to make unauthorized copies. "Fair use" is a legal defense that might get you out of a copyright violation suit, but is not a guarantee of protection.

Having said that, as long as the number of models equals the number of kits, there really should not be any ethical problems. Just be sure to keep the kit.
  4. SteveM

SteveM Member

Yes, there is a difference between purchasing a printed kit and an electronic kit. When you buy an electronic kit you are in effect only buying a license to publish (print) it. As such, the number of copies you can print is governed by the terms of the license.

When you buy a printed kit, you are buying just that particular copy, not a license to print it.
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

SteveM said:
    "When you buy a printed kit, you are buying just that particular copy, not a license to print it."

Yes, indeed...and that's one reason why any kit I scan and reduce, I don't sell, but hold on to it...I love being able to look at the unbuilt printed work, besides having it handy helps a lot in trying to figure out the reduced scanned prints when I build.

6. 46rob

46rob Member

I design models. I encourage folks to kitbash, recolor, or do whatever they want with the models. I figure designing works out to something like 35 cents per hour for a simple model, maybe only a dime for a more complex project. You can see, I'm not in it for the money, but for the self-actualization. To date FG has published my all work and I encourage anyone recoloring any of them to send the product in to FG to share it with the world. My upcoming work will be handled differently, so I ask that recolors or changes be either kept with the file's purchaser, or sent back to me for distribution/inclusion in the package. Make as many copies as you want, build as many as you want. Just don't give away the files or sell them. What you do with the built models is your business....That's MY policy....others may differ.