Pullies and wheels

Discussion in 'Shamus' Narrow Gauge World' started by shamus, Feb 1, 2003.

1. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Here's how my pullies are tied to tree stumps, and the high lead with pullies.

Attached Files:

2. Such intricate work, Shamus! I don't know how you do it! But many thanks for the illustrations, especially of of the high lead rigging. :)
  3. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Thanks Shamus for these interesting pics.

However, I am still puzzling a bit about the function of the different cables. Am I right with:
    - Top cable is the high line proper, carrying the whole load.
    - The two lower lines are ONE cable, pulling the carriage (carrier boom - how do you call it?) along the line. On one end of the high line is a pulley, on the other end the (donkey?) engine.
    - Since the two prongs are holding the load, its weight always keeps the pulling cable taut.
    But then: How do you move the log up or down, e.g. for descending the log onto RR cars? :confused:

PS: I see, I must get me a book about basic logging techniques... :eek:
    Can you recommend one?
  4. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi There,

Shamus beautiful work as always. I'm into N-scale and I'm about to start my logging operation. After looking at your work I feel its going to be a little to small in N-scale for my sixty two year old eyes. I'll need to get into a newer era of logging for sure. Keep those beautiful pictures coming. Ron ;)
  5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Ron,
    I myself am only going from photographs I have seen regarding the high lead, I would guess that you have most of it right.

As for the lowering of the logs, at each end of the boom is a pully system, and the log was lowered using a second Donkey Engine (Or a Duplex - two motors) So I gather.

Apart from that, maybe someone else can answer it with perhaps a drawing or two