pull start isnt engaging anything...

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by bandit1, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandit1

bandit1 Member

just yesterday i took my car out to get another couple tanks through it, and i go to start my engine, and the pull start engaged for like, 1/16 of a full pull, and then went to nothing. "nothing" meaning it was just freely pulling, not making anything move that it usually did. i dont think its the clutch shoes b/c i took a look at them today and they looked fine, but other than that i dunno what to look for. any help is aprreciated! thanks
  2. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

is the 1 way slepping? I had this problem when I had my traxxas nitro rustler. When the 1 way bearing gets full of oil from the fuel it will cause it to slip. See if this is the problem by takeing off the pullstart and then spray the 1 way bearing with some wd40 and then put it back together and see if the pullstart will turn the engine over.
  3. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ok thanks. ill try that tonight and see what happens.
  4. bandit1

bandit1 Member

i think i fixed it. by that i mean that theres this pain in the#@$%c-clip that i had to take off wen i checked the clutch, that WILL NOT go back on. but eventually it'll go on. thanks again guys, ill catch on to this nitro stuff sooner or later!LOL
  5. bandit1

bandit1 Member

nope, it engages for a slight turn and then it goes to nothing. i did notice that when it doesnt catch anything, i heard something that sounded like something spinning? before i do anything else, i now have to get a new pull start because i went to see if tht had anything wrong with it, and the#@$% spring went crazy! any other ideas before i take it to the hobby shop???
  6. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I don't understand what your saying.. What does not spin. The Clutch bell should only not spin when the engine is on and you have the throttle because the clutch shoes span out to grab the inside of the clutch bell. I still don't understand what your saying, sorry.
  7. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ok, sometimes i dont either LOL. um, normally when i pull the pull start, i hear the sound of the piston going through its revolutions. when it worked correctly, the piston went throught its revolutions throught the full pull of the pull start chord, NOW...it goes through for maybe one full turn, and then the pull start chord gets very easy to pull, and the piston doesnt move.

thats the best way i can think of to explain it, if you can help, thanks a bunch, if not its all good, ill take it to the hobby shop. thanks again
  8. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

the 1 way bearing is slipping spray it with some wd40 and give it a try. A new 1 way is about 20 bucks
  9. bandit1

bandit1 Member

i gotta new one way, and it still is doing the same thing. any other ideas before i call XTM???? if u have any ideas, lemme know! thanks
  10. digdug72

digdug72 Member

pull start its self could be bad
  11. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

2 things did you put the 1 way on the shaft the right way? And also maybe the starter shaft that goes in the motor might have broke. Just like digdug said the pullstart might be crap take it off and hold onto it so it doesen't spring and then your screwed out of a pullstart and pull it just alittle to see if it moves, if it does then its ok.
  12. bandit1

bandit1 Member

well, checking over everything and almost about to give up, i took off the head and cleaned around the glow plug. apparently on this engine, where the plug gets screwed in theres a seperate peice that comes off with it. so i tookthe whole thing off, cleaned all around it, put it back together, and it had the compresion back again! apparently, there was some air going up throught that piece, that was causing it not to go through the exhaust.
    thanks for all of ur help, ive found out now that a stupid little paice can cause a big headache!
  13. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

well im happy its workin again time to go bash!
  14. bandit1

bandit1 Member

hell ya man! ive been on vaction for a month now without my rc, im on a BIG drought, but i'll take care of that.
  15. digdug72

digdug72 Member

glad to hear your up and running again ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.