Puddlejumper's (lack of) layout progress...

nkp174

Wow, that train looks nice. It's interesting how it looks like the 4-6-0 has survived as a logging engine...Mountain Man's avatar is of a 2-8-0 which spent its first 20 years as a helper on Alpine Pass...but then went to Rhinelander Wisconsin which allow it to be preserved, looking much like your 4-6-0, and be returned to its home territory as the oldest locomotive in a state filled with 19th century steam.

Is that an MDC passenger car? Or perhaps brass? It looks good. The bullnose roof looks nice thanks to the way that the colors accent its lines. Your caboose looks quite a bit like a Bowser product sitting next to my favorite hudson...

I changed the stack on the 4-6-0 to make it look older. The headlight and pilot may get changed, not sure if I want to get that deep into it. The passenger car is an MDC/Roundhouse. They made a series of Strasburg RR cars, I picked one up when I took my kids to Strasburg to see Thomas the Tank Engine. The N5 cabin is an unknown brass import.

Thanks for the kind words NKP. Hopefully I will have some progress shots of the 0-4-0s before too long.

Dave

I got my decals today!!!

Below...
B&P 800, her tender sweating in the hot summer sun, has obviously been working hard today. Fortunately the shop forman has called her from her duties in the south recieving yard to pull 2 fresh shop cars...
ASIDSCN3288.jpg

B&P 8916, a former PRR H22 hopper, was outshopped this evening. Purchased surplus from a PRR auction, the hopper recieved new wooden slats, a brake job, a coat of paint, and will be placed in service.
ASIDSCN3291.jpg

B&P 1603 is also a former PRR car purchased at auction. Rehabbed and painted, she will serve the B&P's customer's well.
ASIDSCN3290.jpg

The decals were produced by Rail Graphics www.railgraphicsdecals.com and I am extremely happy with the quality of the decals.

I have an SW1, F3B, and several more freight and MOW cars to do so hopefully I will have more to show soon!

Oh, and sorry for the poor photo quality and lack of scenery, issues I am working on correcting!

Dave

UP SD40-2

Dave, GREAT JOB on the engine and two freight cars:thumb::thumb:

i really like the hopper:winki: , i haven't seen one like that before, real unusual.

Fluesheet

Geez, I hate to admit this Dave, but this thread reminded me that I once converted what I believe was an A5 to narrow gauge during my teenage years. If I recall, I simply thinned the frame, regauged the drivers then fastened homemade brass sheet "counterweights" to the potruding drive axles. Drive rods stayed in their original locations. The tender got similarly thinned...

I wonder if I still have that around somewhere...

Matt

Dave, GREAT JOB on the engine and two freight cars:thumb::thumb:

i really like the hopper:winki: , i haven't seen one like that before, real unusual.

Thanks Deano! The 0-8-0 was done about 7 years ago with Roman Type Dry Transfers. The Caboose was done about 4 years ago with individual letters. The Box and hopper I did last night, and are not done yet but I was too excited to not show you guys. They represent the B&P's first 2 revenue cars!

Geez, I hate to admit this Dave, but this thread reminded me that I once converted what I believe was an A5 to narrow gauge during my teenage years. If I recall, I simply thinned the frame, regauged the drivers then fastened homemade brass sheet "counterweights" to the potruding drive axles. Drive rods stayed in their original locations. The tender got similarly thinned...

I wonder if I still have that around somewhere...

Matt

Wow Matt, that sounds like a fun project! I would love to see that if you ever find it, you can post the pics right here in my thread, no worries about hijacking. I think it would be interesting! :thumb:

Dave

steamhead

Hi...That P2K sure does look nice with its new lettering....:thumb: Does it have power pick-up in the tender..?
I've got their 0-8-0 and it's starting to develop pick-up problems as it only has pick-up in the loco itself. (Of course, the wheels/track are clean....) :cry:
Does anyone have a solution for this..? :confused:

doctorwayne

Some nice modelling going on here.;):-D
Here's another John English "Yard Goat", in the weeds behind the Erie Northshore's carshop. Because it's almost right at the front edge of the layout, it's difficult to include all of it in a layout photo - as in the photos below, it's seen only on the periphery of most shots.
diesels_on_the_eg_e_042.jpg

100_5710.JPG

100_5714.JPG

Hi...That P2K sure does look nice with its new lettering....:thumb: Does it have power pick-up in the tender..?
I've got their 0-8-0 and it's starting to develop pick-up problems as it only has pick-up in the loco itself. (Of course, the wheels/track are clean....) :cry:
Does anyone have a solution for this..? :confused:

Gus, Bachmann sell their tender trucks as separate items, complete with the axle wipers and mounting hardware, although you have to specify exactly what you require. I believe that you can also buy the tender wheels and wipers separately, although I don't know if the wheels will fit the Proto sideframes. I used the Bachmann trucks to add power pick-up to the tenders of my Athearn Mikes: the mounting bolster on the tender floor required some slight modification.

Wayne

doctorwayne

Thanks, Gus. :-D
I just now tried a Bachmann tender wheelset in the truck of my Proto 0-8-0, and the axle is a little bit longer and has a rounded end, as opposed to the needlepoint end on the Proto axle. You'll need to change out the entire truck if you use the Bachmann trucks, as the axle wiper would also need some modifications to be used on the Proto truck. If you can find some insulated wheelsets that fit the Proto truck, you'll still need a set of suitable wipers. A simpler solution might be to install Tomar pick-up shoes on the Proto trucks, then run wires to the tender and on to the loco. I may end up doing that eventually, but my 0-8-0 seems to run fine with pick-up only on the loco, although I did add some weight to it. ;)
Latest_proto_foe-toes_-_movin_coal_001.jpg

Wayne

WReid

Try the link below for extra pickups on the Proto 0-8-0 tenders. I have used the article to do two 0-8-0 tenders and it works great. The two 0-8-0s I have done have Soundtraxx tsunami sound decoders and they run great. I have a third one waiting for tender pickups and it has a sound decoder as well and so far it has no pickup problems.

http://www.nmra.org.au/Hints/Pickups/Pickups.html

Wayne R

A5s

Puddlejumper -

Nice collection of 0-4-0s! Personally they hold a great deal of appeal for me because they're a bit more 'human sized', like Narrow Gauge equipment, than say a 2-6-6-6 Allegheny!

Anyway, may I recommend you visit a couple sites if you haven't already, before you remotor that Mantua.

www.yardbirdtrains.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yardbirdtrains

and

http://markschutzer.com/index.htm

Mark's website may give you some good insight into rebuilding that brass beauty you've got.

Mind if I ask where you got that Mantua? Somebody did a nice job adding detail. I am rebuilding a Mantua Shifter and dumping on the detail (backhead, brass all over the boiler, brakes, etc.) but the basis of it all is a fine running locomotive thanks to the repower kit provided by Dan at Yardbirdtrains. The Yahoo group has been helpful for bouncing ideas, as is this forum.

Looking forward to your progress!

Try the link below for extra pickups on the Proto 0-8-0 tenders. I have used the article to do two 0-8-0 tenders and it works great. The two 0-8-0s I have done have Soundtraxx tsunami sound decoders and they run great. I have a third one waiting for tender pickups and it has a sound decoder as well and so far it has no pickup problems.

http://www.nmra.org.au/Hints/Pickups/Pickups.html

Wayne R

Thanks for posting the link for all to see. :thumb: I will perfrom this modification when I add a decoder.

Puddlejumper -

Nice collection of 0-4-0s! Personally they hold a great deal of appeal for me because they're a bit more 'human sized', like Narrow Gauge equipment, than say a 2-6-6-6 Allegheny!

I agree. I love the little critters, and they should be right at home at my future urban industrial area and freight yard.

Anyway, may I recommend you visit a couple sites if you haven't already, before you remotor that Mantua.

www.yardbirdtrains.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yardbirdtrains

and

http://markschutzer.com/index.htm

Mark's website may give you some good insight into rebuilding that brass beauty you've got.

Mind if I ask where you got that Mantua? Somebody did a nice job adding detail. I am rebuilding a Mantua Shifter and dumping on the detail (backhead, brass all over the boiler, brakes, etc.) but the basis of it all is a fine running locomotive thanks to the repower kit provided by Dan at Yardbirdtrains. The Yahoo group has been helpful for bouncing ideas, as is this forum.

Looking forward to your progress!

Thanks for the links! I have not gotten to repower any of the locos yet. I have been pretty busy, but eventually I will have progress to show. I checked out those sites and they should be helpful! :thumb:

I got the Mantua off of ebay. I guess it is some sort of conversion, I don't remember Mantua making a PRR based 0-4-0, but I could be wrong.

Dave

steamhead

Thanks Wayne & Wayne....I'll look into this a little further and see what I come up with. I'm inclined to leave the original trucks and replace the wheel sets and put wipers on them.
Add another project to the list....

The Potomac Shop turned out some freshly repainted work equipment today as shown here.

ASIDSCN3292.jpg

I forgot to buy "Data" sets in black, so my MW fleet will have to do without for a few days. All equipment will get weathered when done, except for a couple of cars I want to leave fresh and new to contrast the others...

Dave

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
PJ,

Some nice models there!

Just a suggestion for your pictures. Rather than shoot with the flash, if you've got a tripod, set your camera on that, and let it shoot the pic with existing light and no flash.

If you can force any manual settings, go for an aperture of f5.6-f-8, you'll get lots of depth-of-field, and the whole of your layout should be more visible, rather than just the immediate foreground.

I thought Kevinkrey might appreciate these...
ASIDSCN3300.jpg

The ribbed cars are Varneys, the other is an MDC.

I really need to buy a better camera with a tripod. Oh yeah, good news. I see a layout room in my future, perhaps 14x24 or so. Woohoo!

Dave