PSF: Phase Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Hi there, I believe to remember there was some talk about Star Trek props recently... so I thought I'd let you know what's soon to come ;)
I am currently working on the Phase Pistol from Enterprise. The 3D model is finished, so is unfolding, but I still have to fiddle with some of the flaps.
The model is meant to be a compromise between detail and ease of build. The front part is tiltable, just like the original, and the power cell is removeable.
So far I have already finished beta building the grip!

// edit: of course it's in 1:1 scale ;)

Attachments

• phasepistol.jpg
    phasepistol.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 39
  • grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 21
S

Starship Builder

cool really good and its me who is doing the other props for th tng era really cool look great with teaxtures and with the communicator

Kjev

Dec 15, 2006
South Eastern Idaho
I WANT ONE!!!!

Actually, I want to get a couple of good models, then build them out of aluminum and modify them to fit my paintball gun!!

But I'm twisted that way.

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Thank you :D Today I have experimented with reinforcing the paper model with epoxy, the result is quite sturdy... I'm too lazy to use aluminum ;)
For now there will be no textures as I am planning to paint it after building (better metal effect) and apart from that, there's almost no surface detail on the "real" pistol anyway... so maybe it will be enough to give the parts the right color and draw one or two lines across them... we'll see :D
Now I wonder if there's some stuff I could put into it to make it a bit heavier... I have used gypsum before but I wasn't planning to make this one a brick ;)

Kjev

Dec 15, 2006
South Eastern Idaho
Another use for paper Weapons

I was thinking of aluminum or plastic (No Trespassing signs might work). My current idea is to make the rifle from Aliens fit my Spyder MR-1. of course it'll have to be modified for the Q loader and remote line, too.

Although I'd be careful about carrying a 1:1 paper rifle around town. Some of the ones I've seen are so well done I think a body might end up cuffed by the cops before they realized what was going on.

cdavenport

Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Georgia
The easiest way I can think of to weight the guns is to adhere sheet lead to appropriate parts of the guns. I have sheet lead, but getting it to you might cost around $5.

The sheet lead I have is about 20mils thick and quite malleable. I have rolled some to ~.004 thickness. I imagine it would cost a few bucks to mail it. If you're interested, let me know and I'll figure a cost. Each roll I made is about 1.5" by 3~4' long, nothing precise but you get the idea.

Jim Lionmane

Jan 12, 2006
Tars,
Another way of weighting the model could be to use a little bit of expanding foam. Lets say you have build the handle, then you cover the bottom of the inside, with foam and let it expand and set. Carve out a tunnel in the foam and fill the tunnel until you have the right weight, with leadshots, BB's, ballbearings, small nuts and bolts, whatever you have handy with a substantial weight. seal the tunnel with more expanding foam.
My gues is that you could weight it to your exact wish and the foam would make it sturdy enough to be handled.
I must confess, I have not tried it, this is just my 2 cents.

Kind regards

Jim Lionmane

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Thank you for your advice!! I think maybe I'll try the expanding foam. I think I could also put in the weight before foaming, this way I won't have to carve the stuff out afterwards ;)
So far I have built two more parts, but they aren't very spectacular, so I didn't take new pics. Apart from that one of them is the trigger ;)

edit: now it is starting to look like something pistol-like :D

Attachments

• HPIM3763.jpg
    HPIM3763.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM3762.jpg
    HPIM3762.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 16

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Okay here's an update on the phase pistol! I think it looks pretty stunning so far... oh and I've been working on that pun all day ;)
It's only lacking a few more parts, then I can put it all together. However I'll probably build another grip because this one seems a bit large.

Attachments

• HPIM3831.JPG
    HPIM3831.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 15
S

Starship Builder

very very nice tars really good have you considered the communicator?

sr5nm

Jul 9, 2004
If you try the expanding foam, be very careful. It expands a great deal and WILL deform or rupture your model if you use even a little bit too much. You might be better carving regular white foam to fit inside each subassembly before it is buttoned shut and then painting the exterior with a thinned down epoxy. Most hobby shops carry epoxy in many weights and it can be thinned with either acetone or 93% rubbing alcohol. Don't try to use the 20% stuff or to use a quick drying epoxy like 5 minute. The Bob Smith Industries 20 minute finishing epoxy is nice and thin and offers a good work time.

Kjev

Dec 15, 2006
South Eastern Idaho
Possible Fill Materials

I've built one or two paper models I've tried to "beef up." Thin cardboard is easiest to work with, but it tends to warp. Possibly printing the parts then glueing them to sheet styrene (like 'No Trespassing' signs) might work, too. And instead of expanding foam, what about RTV silicon sealer? Maybe applying it in layers will allow it to dry better. Another possibility (and I have no clue how well this would work, just throwing out ideas) is lightweight Hydrocal that model railroaders use. Crayola also makes a foamy, lightweight craft clay that might work too.

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Maybe you can see the places on the grip where I tried reinforcing it with epoxy... however, this is just the prototype so it will not have any strengthening stuff at all. And like I know me, it may take a lot of time before I build another one... but we'll see. I would like to try expanding foam but so far I was afraid I'd only need maybe 10% of the can and the rest would stay in it and get dry on its own...
I was planning on painting this one, that way I get a much better metallic effect, but the model will be coloured when I release it. For those who can't wait I may be putting it up the way it is, but first I'll have to do the unfolding again anyway since I had to make some changes in the 3D model (especially the grip).

Kjev

Dec 15, 2006
South Eastern Idaho
Use DAP foam. Comes in a blue can. It seems to work better than "Great Stuff" which isn't that great. Only the stuff in the end of the straw dries if you leave the straw attached. It's also designed so you can spray with the can upright, while some of the other stuff you have to hold the can upside down.

I'll try to get the exact name of the stuff. The hardest part is getting the glop off of you.

crimson

Jun 2, 2008
Sussex, UK
Hey tars, I love the pistol. It looks like it has some good detail, even without any textures. This is going to look great with some ink on it!

As far as beefing-up the model, I would agree with Kjev on laminating the card to something stronger. I have found that the corrugated card from boxes /packaging works great when used to stiffen large flat pieces. Just make sure the card is flat and smooth to begin with. I cut out the reinforcing part quite coarsly and tend to make it about 5mm smaller all round, just in case I need to glue any flaps to the part. Don't use too much glue to laminate the parts together as this can lead to a bumpy rippled surface. Leave them under a book to keep them flat until they are completely dry. This gives you a good solid part to build from which not only feels much stronger, but is less likely to 'warp' during building.

Tars

Jul 1, 2006
Germany
www.planetstarfreak.de
Thank you all! As you can see the pistol is finished building. Still have to build the ammo though, but I was more eager on painting the thing :) So far I have coloured the grip, which looks especially nice I think, and the gun metal parts (i.e. the darker ones). The rest will be painted aluminum-coloured but I have run out of paint and haven't had time to get some new yet.
Now that it is finished, it seems like the pistol is a bit oversized. I'll probably scale it down further for the oficial version :) but only by one, maybe two centimetres.

Attachments

• HPIM3850.JPG
    HPIM3850.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM3852.JPG
    HPIM3852.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM3854.JPG
    HPIM3854.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.