Prudenziati Mc200, Glue Cocktails and Aluminum Tape

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Wily, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Wily

Wily Member

Yesterday's thread on the Fiddlersgreen PT-22 inspired me to share this staged (obviously?) photo of my work space.

Currently, I'm building an Mc.200 Saetta, designed by Fabrizio Prudenziati. I'm prepping to build a PMI Vultee Vanguard that I bought last year.

Anyway, in a previous post,I commented about my "discovery" of mixing Super Glue (CA) and Elmers Tacky Glue (TG). Also, the use of Aluminum Tape (AT) was used as a building aid to aid in the formation of compound curves.

Here are my thoughts - they're worth what you're paying for them!

A. Zap'A'Gap glue does not mix well with TG. It crystalizes on the paper and ends up foaming.

B. This is the Prudenziati Kit...

C. This is the Mc.200 as it sits - note the wing fillets are backed with AT. I'll get another shot of how the backing of AT helps the fillet curve nicely.

D. This is a roll of AT - I use the 3" wide variety and have found that the particular brand shown, Lamart, has a repositionble adhesive. I lay it out on the cutting board, smooth it with my thumb, then cut it into whatever shape I need with an Xacto. The Xacto blades are wrecked in short order, but the results are excellent!

E. This is "Five Star" brand CA - it's found at Walgreens, cheap but excellent. Dries quickly, hard and predictably.

F. This is Elmers TG.

G. The ubiquitous Silver Sharpie. I've found that if I need to glue TG to a silver-soaked piece of paper, the ink leeches into the TG creating a grayish glue that fills gaps brilliantly.

Attached Files:

2. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Looking nice there. I built one of Zio's MC 200s a number of years back and still like the model.

3. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

nice build look forward to further updates :thumb:
  4. Wily

Wily Member

The Prudenziati kits are quirky to be sure - they require a certain suspension of belief before building..."How in the H*ll am I supposed to get THAT to do THIS?!"

But, they're a reflection of a genius - once a person understands how they work, they're brilliant!

I'll post more photos...but I'm not building this one to be a museum piece. It'll likely be blown up on the 4th of July.
  5. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Such a sad end to a beautiful Italian model.

Couldn't you find it in your heart to

blow up a British one? :mrgreen:

6. Wily

Wily Member

A British airplane?! Funny - I just finished the book 1776. It's the legend behind the American Revolution and George Washington.

However, since I'm rather fond of British aircraft, perhaps a British car would do? (They blow up nicely on their own, but not usually on someone's intended timing).