Prototype v/s supplied/ v/s detailed

Woodie

I prefer "detailed" rather than "scratched and bashed"!!! hehehehe :p

I'm doing up an "Overland Express" which ran between Melbourne and Adelaide (overnight) from the late 40's and still runs today using a lot of the original cars. But the railways have scratched them and bashed them a bit over the last 40 odd years. ;)

This is the era I'm doing:

Attachments

• Mururi02.jpg
    Mururi02.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 117

Woodie

... and the cars were looking a little scratched and bashed a few years ago.

Attachments

• Kuldalai01.jpg
    Kuldalai01.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 113

Woodie

But as they are supplied (by Lima) they are a little, shall I say.... lacking in detail. The windows aren't right, (silver/chrome edging that shouldn't be there) neither is the signage, (too small, and only a two colour paint job, instead of a third for the signage) and there is no underbody detail.

Attachments

• DSCF0016.JPG
    DSCF0016.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 108

Woodie

correct it with some detail signage decal packages, and a molded underbody detail kit (which I had to remove the car floor to fit correctly), and remove the silver window edgeing, and we have something a little closer to what it is meant to be.

Attachments

• DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 110

Woodie

Flush glaze windows would help, and they are available for this model too. But they come next, I suppose.

Attachments

• DSCF0037.JPG
    DSCF0037.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 104

Woodie

Got another 8 to do like that, plus power/generator van, and dining car. :eek: Took 5 hours to do that one!!

Each car was individualy named, which generic model manufacturers, of course, can't do. So it's decal kits have to do that bit.

This one is "Weroni" as put in service in 1948.

Attachments

• Weroni01.jpg
    Weroni01.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 94

Woodie

.... and the ready to run "Weroni", with decals, windows, and underbody "bashed" more appropriately. :)

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 110

Woodie

They are only minor little things, and there are still things that don't quite match the prototype, but they do make a difference to the look and feel.

Do you guys have model manufacturers that scrimp and scrape like that? I suppose they have to, if they are to keep the price within reach of the "average" (is there such a one?) modeller. :)

And do any of you guys go to the lengths and time to "get as close as you can" to the prototype? :wave:

Woodie,
Nice job on the detail work. The little things sure do add up don't they. Those cars remind me of the HO Athearn streamliners, a bit short and short cuts taken to keep the price down. We have the same thing in S scale too.

On the rest of the train, what are you going to pull it with? B motor, S motor? Keep showing those cars as you get them done.

Cheers,
Greg