Prototype Target Signals

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by kb1ejw, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kb1ejw

kb1ejw New Member

Hello folks-

I belong to a modular group here in Massachusetts, and I am adding signals to my three modules.
    I would like to use target signals, but not sure how many heads to use- 2 or 3 heads. I found websites regarding signal aspects and such, but not sure what the difference is between the two.

Not sure if the following info is needed, but I will include it just in case..
    We use 2 mainlines, and I have passing tracks on either side of them (to sum it up easily).
    Thanks in advance..

2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Jeremy: A lot may depend on the railroad you are modelling. I'll try to give a bit of Canadian practice.
    Along a long stretch of mainline there may just be one head, with 3 colours, used to separate trains.
    In some areas there may be 2 heads -- one on each side of the post. The top head is for the next block, the second is for the following block.
    At interlockings there will be 2 or 3 heads on the same side of the post. Interlockings demand an absolute stop when all lights are red; block signals can be more permissive.
    2 or 3 heads give more precise instructions. You can say to go slowly through the interlocking and then faster beyond it, or go at medium speed through the interlocking (because the switch is straight) and then faster beyond it.
    I posted a thread a couple of years ago showing the indications from the Canadian rule book.

Some railroads have quite different signal meanings.
  3. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I have a live modern junction near my house, and the top (of three) is for the interlocking, the middle for the next block, and the third for a wye track that connects the two lines that interlock ahead together.