Prototype Photo Contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter

Nov 5, 2002
AL
www.csxphotos.com
Here's my entry:
CSX train #736, August 2002, Canon AV-1(BRIAN!!!:D:D:p ask Brian 'bout this!:D), Canon 50mm 1:1.8 @f/13 @1/250 sec. on Kodak 400ASA film.
csx7661.jpg

Hunter :)

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Drew's entry in the photo contest

First off, thanks Shamus for moving my entry over! I might get the hang of this forum yet!!

The photo was taken on a beautiful summer day, in 1996, in Stettler Alberta. The Alberta Prairie is a steam excursion company that has been doing an excellant job for over ten years now. I was the mechanical supervisor with Central Western Railway, and Alberta Prairie hired me to maintain their diesel loco. They had aquired it from CN, and had it painted like new. Nothing like shiny new paint on a locomotive, to get my shutter a goin'!!

I allways thought the SW1200 was a pretty good work horse for the shortline situation, and I new they were depending on it being ready for service.

I remember the 1259 came in handy one day. We threw a run through switch stand, up on the running board, and brought it a quarter mile, back to the shop. Saved us having to carry it!!

Drew

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Here's one a bit more "contemporary..." I was on my way home to Phoenix from LA on a very stormy New Year's day in California and stopped off at West Colton (as usual) to see what was going on. Right as I parked, the sun poked through a little hole in the clouds and illuminated the two SP speed lettered SD40s sitting by themselves on the Eastbound ready tracks. Rarely does one see SP engines exclusively at West Colton anymore, so I called this "Last Days in the Spotlight..."

Tom F

Attachments

• last_days1.jpg
    last_days1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 120

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Title: Dead Photographer. 9 P.M., early November (well after sunset) f11, 10 sec., 80mm, 800asa, Minolta X-700. I got lucky on this one as I was unable to bracket (see no tresspassing post for details on that!).

Attachments

• night.jpg
    night.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 180

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Heres my shot of Santa Fe Dash8-40CW #909 eastbound at Woodford California (Tehachapi Pass). Photo taken on Sept. 22 1996.

Dan Raitz
Escondido, CA

Attachments

• atsf_ge#909.jpg
    atsf_ge#909.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 101

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
I took this one many years ago (around 1979/1980), in the Ponferrada-Villablino, an small mining RR in the Spain's north mountains, still operating some steam. I was only 17 or 18 then, and this was one of my first railfan trips. What a pity that 4 or 5 years after the photo was taken, the RR was dismantled and most of these nice steamers were eaten by the torch :( (but some survived an now live happily in museums)

Attachments

• pv-18.jpg
    pv-18.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 101

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Will try to post a picture of a Baldwin 040 which is stationed in Woodland, Ca. It was used with the tour train out of woodland until about a year ago. I saw it on a lift with the wheels off. Looked like an overhaul job.

Wow. I guess I will have to rescan this to make it smaller:eek:

Attachments

• 1233engside.jpg
    1233engside.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 168

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Here's a picture taken by my wife of me trying to stop a rushing GM Aero train...something a little different at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, WI.
Ralph

Attachments

• aero.jpg
    aero.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 154

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Durn what a collection of outstanding photo's!!!!!! Congrats to everybody for some real winners :cool: :cool: :cool: ! Voting is going to be a real pain in the a** on this contest :D :D :D . Well here's my 2 cents worth, our hometown 2-8-0 between Dillsboro and Bryson City.

Attachments

• loco.jpg
    loco.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 147

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by Ralph
Here's a picture taken by my wife of me trying to stop a rushing GM Aero train...something a little different at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, WI.
Ralph

Faster than a speeding bullet train....... More powerful than a locomotive.........

Great shot!!!! :)

~~ Mikey

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
So many GREAT photos but that SMOKER you posted Tyson reminds me so much of living close to a track where coal haulers blasted their way up a grade on the way to the huge steel plant in Pretoria, South Africa where I grew up. I can still smell the smoke and cinders from those double headers.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Matthyro, Tyson, and all,

Great photo set. I too remember living above the M & St. L. tracks that crossed the Des Moines River in Ft. Dodge, IA in the '40s and watching the freights and passenger trains headed by what I believe were 2-8-0s or Mikes hauling over the bridge. I remember my mother planning the wash day so she could hang out the laundry after the trains passed in the morning because if the breeze was coming from the trackside, we got coal dust in our shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.