Prototype of ROCO 33205 HOn30

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Model Railroading' started by cobrazm, Jun 8, 2004.

1. cobrazm

cobrazm New Member

I have a ROCO 33205 HOn30 0-C-0 diesel industrial switcher. I don't like its color scheme and am trying to repaint it by myself. Can anybody tell me which the prototype of this diesel loco is? It will be great if anyone has pictures. Thanks in advance.
  2. neilmunck

neilmunck Member

I dunno exactly but it is a European locomotive.

Generally black is a good bet if you are looking for a prototype colour scheme.
  3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hi cobrazm!
    Welcome to The Gauge! :wave:
    Roco is a European mfgr, & they produce mainly Euro guess would be that yours is based on a German prototype...?
    It sounds like a really neat little model though! :cool:
    It would make a great little "critter" to have on some type of freelanced narrow gauge RR!
    Locos like this would generally have a very simple/plain paint scheme...a solid color with maybe a stripe or two...
  4. Topo

Topo Member

The Roco 33205 is not based upon any known prototype that I can point to. It is a model representing a general type of european locomotives, very common (in past years) in France and central europe: the "country" railroad, small local mining/loggin lines that used tiny steam and diesel for their operations.

So maybe you can find some pictures of very similar locomotives, but I doubt that the Roco model is based in one in particular.

However, it's a nice tiny loco, and -being an "universal" model- you have total freedom for paint and transform it. Sure that somewhere in Europe was a prototype like yours! ;)

Here is a picture taken of the Roco catalog. Maybe you can use it as inspiration: :thumb:

Attached Files:

5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Those are cool little critters. Too bad they are hard to find and expensive :(

If you plan to use it on an American pike, it would make a nice little freelance similar to maybe a Davenport. Check out the Davenports and Plymouths, and you'll see you can paint it about any way you can immagine, becaues that's what the prototype did:

These little industrials were rugged critters, and many survive from pre WW 2. So they have had many owners, and can be found in about any state of (dis-) repair, in any color. If you want to mock an American made critter, I';ll bet you can find one close enough that only minor modifications will bring it close.

As far as European colors go, I can't realy say for a specific prototype, but red, black and dark green seem to be popular.
  6. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

ya paint it like that! :D :D :D

oh, and Welcome to the-gauge!!!