Prototype Climax colors?

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Hi Gang,
I am building a G gauge kit for a class A Climax (similiar to Shamus' new one) and am ready to paint some parts. I don't know what colors were used originally on the prototypes and wondered if anyone here might know? I asked this on Shamus' thread about his new Climax but got no response. I knew I could kill a thread but gee..... Steve

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Don't feel bad, pc, I can silence the chattiest of chat rooms! Ask Dick, Grum, or Shamus, they've seen it a hundred times!

To me they all look British Racing Greens on Shamus's web site, but I think he's just trying to get a little more top end outa them :D :D :D

My MDC undec is very dark brown maybe umber (the wood) and black (the metal).

Climax.jpg

Most of the models I've seen are black, brown, or bare wood.

All the proto pics just look grey to me. So do the people. And the trees too :D :D :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Steve my boy, I feel dreadful that I missed your question. Am I forgiven "Sniff" .

About the colour of my climax, it is an overall grey with a rusty roof. grime plays an important part also.

Cheers friend
Shamus
waver.gif

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
No problem Paul,
I hope you went back to my original post on your thread and saw the links. I thought you would like them!
Jon,
All the pics I've seen are grey too. Hmmm, maybe its a conspiracy!

Well, I think I will keep searching for original colors that the Climax
came from the factory with before I paint mine. I'm in no real hurry to finish it, YET.
Thanks, Steve

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Steve, if you want a little, gaudy Climax, try this one!

She was built 1897 and called the 'Gold Bug' - painted yellow with bright red lettering and trim. She was used in the Tionesta Valley PA.
However the pic proves that the Climax people didn't shy away from paint altogether. This suggests that you can use any paint YOU like! There MIGHT have been a Climax in this color scheme... :)

I found this pic on the Climax website (the last link on Jon's post). BTW: This was the only hint on original colors I found. Perhaps somebody of the 'grey conspiracy' goofed by giving away this information? :D :D :D

Ron

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Thanks Ron,
I know that site well (posted the link a few times on here). I have spent alot of time on it and found just what you did. The "Bug" seems to be the only one they know the color of. Well, I think since I am freelancing my railroad I might as well make up my own color. Steve

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Hi pcentral! In doing research for my n-scale version it seems all the metal parts were just about always black. In the few color photos I have run across the color of the wood goes like this:
1- black (several)
2- white (several)
3- red (one)
4- yellow (one)
5- green (one)
6- gray (one)

But the grand prize for the most common went to unpainted (they may have been stained in some cases )

Hope this helps

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Thanks Tyson,
That's what I love about this place, someone can always help you and it don't matter what scale(s) you have. This helps alot, it gives me some ideas to think about. I was thinking of going with black undercarriage and trucks with a stained deck and grey or moss green for the rest with maybe some red trim. Now I'll have to give it more thought. Decisions, decisions......
Thanks again, Steve