Proto 2000 PA1 problem

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by astapleford, Feb 3, 2006.

1. astapleford

astapleford New Member

I purchased a Proto 2000 PA1 a couple of years ago. I have just recently taken it out of the box and gave it a test run on my layout.
    For the first couple of minutes it ran good, but, soon developed a very annoying screech.....almost a squeaking/rubbing sound. I lifted the front truckset off the tracks and ran it with the back set running. It seems OK...then tried the back set off the tracks. The sound was there.

What could be the problem? Believe it or not, I don't remember where I bought it. I think it was a train show in Springfield, Mass., so, I am on my own.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: try lube first . i know the P2K 2 axle units had a lot of problems with split gears i have 11 PA's and none of them have had your problem.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The early p2k locomotives at least seemed to have a problem with lube. Some were severely overlubed, and some were shipped completely dry. I've seldom seen an early p2k that was lubed correctly.
  4. astapleford

astapleford New Member

I have aggressively run my PA1 forward and backwards, and it has seemed to have quieted down. It probably just needs a great deal of breaking in.

Thanks for the inputs.

5. rjt909

rjt909 Guest

I have had two problems with these units. The crewman figure can fall off of its mount and jam the gears. This will appear to be an intermittent problem. Since the unpainted figure is all black, it is difficult to see in the mechanisms.

The second problem has been split gears or or other portions of the drive wheels. This was also difficult to detect the exact problem, but manifested itself as a clunking while the locomotive was running. Once replaced, the thing runs great.