PROTEUS from Fantastic Voyage 1966

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by edkeffel, Jan 28, 2007.

1. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

No, but WOW! What an awesome site! :) :) :)
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ummm.......... I'm saying WOW to the site too!

Thanks for giving us the link...........

Lots-o-models from there I would like to see!
  4. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Excellent site, I've been there many times before. As for the Proteus, I have a nice set of plans in an old magazine, and it's on my "to do" list, although a bit far down...

Scott K.
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

and the ship from Land of the Giants....and the war machine from War of the worlds...oooooohhh!!!

A veritable Cornucopia of resources for the model builder! Got it bookmarked!
  6. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

It seems that WE are the ones who should take the challenge of building the Proteus in cardmodel!

And as thewoodengraver pointed out, yes, the Spindrift os LoTG is a must. Very tough to built entirely in paper. I´ve buil a couple of models many years ago, but too inaccurate.
  7. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Proteus and Spindrift projects

Hi all,
    I have a TON of reference material and blueprints for both the Proteus and the Spindrift and plan to eventually work on designs for both. Right now though, I'm trying to finish the Jupiter 2 and the Lost In Space series.

I have based my Jupiter 2 on blueprints sent to me by Ron Gross who worked with Polar Lights to develop thier plastic version. For reference material on the interior, I have purchased DVDs that I have screen captures to assist in details. I am also working with the great guys at who have been very generous to send me reference captures of their 3D models they designed for MS Flight Simulator. They have also done some work with a 3D model of the Spindrift that they have promised to send reference material (especially cross-sections!) of it. Pendercrafts will also be hosting all of my models too.

The Proteus will be a FANTASTIC model as the interior can be very detailed and visible without having to open up the model to view it. The Spindrift will be a design challenge to get the curves right. I think what I might do is have 2 versions of the Spindrift, the first will not have a detailed interior (to help design the internal support structure), and the second I hope to have the top lift off to show the interior. Wish me luck.

Things have been very hectic for a while so designing and building is suffering badly, but I hope to pick it back up in a few weeks. Wish me luck!

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  8. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

Dear Ron

Would you like to share with us some blueprints of Spindrift and Proteus?

I dont want to build an entirely paper-built Spindrift; I´d rather make the internal details in paper and the exterior with foam.

The Proteus seems more feasilble to built in paper, with only the windows made by plastic.

9. Ron Caudillo

E-mail me at and let me know what you need. Heck, I might even be convinced to work on a drawing or 2 if you're not in too much of a hurry!

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  10. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

11. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

No luck involved where you're concerned Ron!
    GREAT to see you getting back into the 'swing' of it!
  12. Ron Caudillo

I have often thought the Spider-contraption fro Wild Wild West would make a great model. I started reasearching it at one time. Any takers?

Best to all,
    Ron Caudillo