Protecting your paper?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Soaring, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

I was just wondering if there was anything to protect your paper model from dust, moisture, etc...? While building a model once, they're instructions called for something called Matte Spray.
    Are there any other products used for this sold in Stores?
    Would I have to spray before or after construction?
    I appreciate the help, as I'll wait for an answer before I work on my Masterchief.
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Put your model in a perspex box! :D That sure protects it from dust ^^
  3. grifco2000

grifco2000 Member

Hi, not sure if you can get it where you ae, but I find that the clear coat for cars you can buy from auto repair dealers in spray cans protects the models well. To the point that a hovercraft I built my son survived a trip to the beach and a launching. Admittedly it was a heavy coating (so i can't spray paint) :mrgreen: I have also found that this can be easily dusted even with a damp duster without damaging the model or paper.\\\

Good Luck,

4. redhorse

redhorse Member

Soaring, I don't know what country you're in, but I use a 3M spray I get at Michaels for protecting photo paper. It's UV resistant to protect against fading and comes in matte and gloss. I forget the exact name because I'm at work right now, but I'd think most art/craft stores would carry something similar. Normally I spray the sheets before I build and then again after I've finished the whole thing.
  5. Soaring

Lex: Thanks, but I'd like to play abit with my masterchief :D
    Grifco2000: Thank you! I'll check with my Mother's Auto Dealers!
    Redhorse: THANK YOU! I live near a Micheals shop, only about 15 minutes away! (By Car) Thank you!

I give every sheet a coat or two of Miniwax wood hardener, then a coat of Krylon UV matt or gloss before I cut anything.
  7. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

First (after printing) I spray a coat of any brand of "Workable Fixative" on both sides of the page. Workable fixative is product that artists use to prevent smudging from rubbing their hands on their artwork. Most hobby and craft stores (as well as art supply stores) carry it. I generally use Krylon brand because it is readily available and cheap. This will prevent any "running" the ink.

Top this off with a coat of matte or gloss Krylon (or other brand of acrylic lacquer). I frequently apply another coat to the finished model.

I have also used Testors Dull Cote and Gloss Cote. They work fine. Most hobby shops have them.

8. Soaring

Excellent! Thank you guys for your input, I'll try that Blueeyedbear, since here in my city, they have a BCT Hobbies And Crafts Store. I believe I'll find a Testors Dull Cote and GLoss Cote.
  9. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

It sure would help if forum members would at least tell us what country they are from. I hate to tell someone from Poland or Uganda that their local WalMart carries something!!!!!!!

10. Soaring

Ah, I'm from the US of A. Sorry I didn't say that before!

Thanks again!
  11. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

For what it is worth, Testors Dull and Gloss Cote come in both bottles (for airbrushing) and small spray cans.

And up here in the far Northeast corner of Texas, I've found the Testors products in the little model sectionss and the Krylon products in the paint department of 3 local WalMarts!

12. Soaring

Hmmm, from my experience with a Spray can, I usually end up missing...Do you link some kind of tube to the can for an airbrush? And wheren would you find it? Walmart? Thanks

I guess I can go to Walmart for them too, which one would you find more expensive, from Micheals or Walmart?
  13. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

I must admit I don't bother :eek:

In between a six-year old and five cats things tend not to last too long in my household :curse:

Also with my standard of building it isn't really worthwhile sign1

Keep up the good work. The level of detail and comitment you guys display amazes me.
  14. redhorse

redhorse Member

I like that workable fixative idea, I'm going to have to try it. I wonder if there is a UV resistant version of that. Well, that means another excuse to go to Michaels :)