Protecting Track While Working

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Mountain Man, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

I recently found a simple solution to protecting track while working around it - I cut the zip-locks off small sized bags (I'm N-scale), removed the male rib and push the U-shaped female portion down onto the rail. When finished, you can just peel it off and re-use it.

By experimenting with various sizes of ziplock bags, you can probably find one that push-fits nicely onto your particular gauge, although garden railroaders may need to save the ziplocks from large bags of dog food! :cool:
  2. logicman

logicman Greybeard

3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Great tip! I tried drinking straws, but never had much luck with that. This sounds worth a try.

4. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I must not be very messy when doing scenery as I've never found the need to protect the ties or rails.
  5. Mountain Man

I am unworthy! Instruct me, oh Great One! :inw::inw::inw::inw:
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I find the one thing that helps avoid a mess more than anything else is to not spray anything... I.e. don't spraypaint the track, and don't use a spray bottle for scenery.

You can brush paint your rail, or use a paint marker. For scenery, instead of (traditional) plaster methods, use styrofoam landforms that are brushpainted. When attaching groundfoam and other ground cover, use an eyedropper to dispense wet water and/or a glue mix.

7. mooreway

mooreway Member

I have tried many ideas to protect track. Funny this one never dawned on me.wall1

Great Idea :thumb:
  8. Mountain Man

Unfortunately, I tend to be somewhat "dexterity-challenged" from time to time...:mrgreen:
  9. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Sounds like it might work better then painters tape!
  10. Mountain Man

You could also just buy aquarium air tubing, slit it down it's length and press it on. Probably work just as well.

Them that has, gets. Them that hasn't...improvise and scratchbuild. :cool: