Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by imported_///M, Jul 13, 2006.

1. To your knowledge, has anyone ever used CO2 as a means of propulsion for aircraft models? Ive used it for wire guided ground vehicles. Im sure that the models would need significant reinforcement. 12g CO2 chargers put out alot of thrust... Now, to get the aiplane to maintain its stablility. Any thoughts?:???:
  2. bigtom

bigtom Member

Estes used to have some freon powered rockets called "Cold Power"

The engines were very light. Arent co2 cartrages heavy?
  3. hpept

hpept Member

Now i know who to thank for the ozone layer hole... :grin:
  4. CO2 cartiges are indeed heavy, but compared to the amount of thrust per weight i think it would work. The only problem is it is a short burst. I have been looking into electric ducted fans for RC applications, I think I'm going to experiment with those as opposed to the CO2 cartriges.
  5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've thought about those as well. If there were a radio controlled valve you could turn the power on and off as needed and the short burst of power wouldn't be a problem. The craft off couse would have to be designed to operate with intermittant power. It would be a sort of power assisted glider. I've also thought about those pump-up water rockets. It has the same problem with needing a controlable valve but avoids the expense of disposible cartridges.
    I think that either would be really fun since you would have to regulate the amount of power and use up drafts and the like. I've never tried radio control planes but with that sort of controllable limited power I just might like it. I like x-c skiing because of the way limited power necessitates the use of terrain.
  6. dinsour

dinsour Member

Back in 1945, I saw the first model of a jet plane. It was a P80 and they used co2 cartrages to propel it. The model had an open slot down the bottom to except a gun like device to set off the cartrage. It was stick and tissue , and mostle it glided down after the charge was spent. Not great, not too bad for the time.
    I have seen almost the same setup in recent years.

-------73 --Ron
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

CO2 cartridges do provide lots of power to weight, but the problem is the weight is still there when the power is gone, Plane go boom really fast!:cry:

The electric (battery powered) ducted fans are really making advances. This might be a better way to go especially in the future. Still a lot of weight, but you can land when the power starts to get low and not rely on gliding with all that weight.

I don't care how big the wings are or how fast you were going before loss of power.... a brick don't glide very well. Have you looked at the glide slope of the space shuttle..........:grin:
  8. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

John, these are simliar but smaller. I think they are tiny rocket engines. U can even use them on paper airplanes and models. They wer used alot in the 50s but seem to be making a comeback.

9. bigtom

bigtom Member

We will know by this weekend if my air bladder jet works!!!
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Good Luck BigTom!!!................ great flight, better landing, and no lawn darts!:grin: