Proper Terminology

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Mountain Man, Apr 28, 2008.

  1. Mountain Man

    Mountain Man Active Member

    This weekend I dropped by the LHS in Colorado Springs to inquire about a "Gallows Turntable", the term I swear has appeared in numerous magazines and on forums, referring to the small, locally built, mostly-wood, two-man-powered turntables erected by small narrow gauge shortlines, consisting of a platform, a pair of large central upright beams, and stays running to the ends on the turntable platform. To my surprise, a debate erupted among the three staffers there at the time over what it was properly called, even after I described and sketched it, followed by a frantic catalog search as they attempted to identify what I was describing.

    Did I have the right term, or did I unintentionally mislead them?
  2. TrainNut

    TrainNut Ditat Deus

  3. Mountain Man

    Mountain Man Active Member

    Thanks, TrainNut; I guess in future I should add the "A-frame" part to the name, but I was really surprised that one seemed to recognize what I was talking about. I think the three fellows all model in a later period, so perhaps they never encountered one. I remember seeing one on the British train forum that was even more basic than the ones you linked to.

    In any event, they were unable to locate a reliable source for one in N-scale, citing a delivery time of up to one year from one source, so I think I see some scratchbuilding in my near future. Should be fun.
  4. TrainNut

    TrainNut Ditat Deus

  5. chooch.42

    chooch.42 Member

    Wow, that is one super model, but the control electronics package is probably the bulk of the price. Am I reading right, that they say the drive coould be used with other scales of tables ? Neat find, but not cheap. Thanks, Bob C.

Share This Page