Prooduct reviews for locos & rolling stock

Spongemike

Hi there,

I've finally gotten back into doing some model RR as a bit of relief from the day job; I'm looking at getting some new locos to replace my geriatric Athearn ones, but for the life of me I can't find any websites that have reviews of equipment.

One I'm looking at is a Bachmann UB28B (?) (non DCC and not one of the spectrum range) with flywheels and all wheel drive, but can't find an online review on how they perform.

Anyone able to give me a pointer inthe right direction, or even able to comment from first hand experience?

Best regards form Aotearoa

Mike A

ed acosta

Thank you for bringing up the subject. Of course we know that Model Railroader magazine reviews products, but I am wary of how genuine the critique of a product is when the manufacturer also pays the magazine for advertising. From time-to-time I have seen some items evaluated by this forum, but there is not a single source where one can type in a manufacturer, a catalog number, and await results from a non-partisan critic.

While we are primarily on-line buyers, we are bypassing an enormous asset we enjoyed long before the internet was created by Al Gore, and that is the neighborhood hobby shop. These people were willing to let you try numerous brands on their test track until you found one you were satisfied with. Hey, they were great people for advice on a number of railroading issues even if the final solution did not involve a sale. They even learned your name!
-ed

Bill Nelson

review.

While I don't have experience with that particular locomotive, the Bachman spectrum stuff I have seen so far has all been quite good.

Bill Nelson

I think I would stick to their current offerings (blue boxes). Perhaps the b23-7 or b30-7 would be a better choice if you're going for a GE.

I packed my low expectations when buying my first DCC-equipped GP35, but I was pleasantly surprised! The detail level is nice, and the mechanism is very reliable.

GP35 Detailing: I think these are significantly better than athearn blue box, almost Athearn RTR.
GP35 Mechanically: More consistent than Athearn RTR, but not as much traction or flywheel effect.