Pronouncing the word "Geep"

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by puddlejumper, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Band Of America has since become a snake too: "BOA", and Washington Mutual: "Wamu"...

It's pronounced "Can-Am". :eek:

Its... Bom-bar-de-yay (close)...
  2. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

One last question is raised in my mind, how do you pronounce my name (Baakko)? Computer pronunciation software seems to get it right.
  3. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

With regards to the OP (Original Post...heh).

Sounds to me like someone has too much time on his hands. When I first got back into the hobby, of all of the people I've met who seem to have more experience then I, call them "Jeeps". If its good enough for's good enough for me.
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Hmmm. I'm too lazy to bother hooking-up my speakers, so I'll have to take a guess. How's Baw-ko sound?
    People seem to have trouble with my last name, too, which used to bug me when I was a kid. :curse: Nowadays, my brother and I often address one another in the most outlandish version that we can come up with, prefaced, of course, by Mister. ;):-D

5. doctorwayne

Per-aps dey din see ze "cee". Let's face it, our former Prime Minister Jean Chretien, always a card, baffled me with the word "devil-up", his anglo version of the English word "develop".
    The cheque :rolleyes: is in the mail.:p;)

6. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Maybe with all the developing that goes on now a days for the almighty buck, he wasnt to far off.:yep:
  7. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

You are correct my good sir. Baw, or Bah, considering they're pronounced the same basicaly.
  8. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Some companies use their initials to shorten their names, making it easier to pronounce. One notable blunder was Trans World Airlines. There are fewer syllables in their name than in their initials. :p :p :p :mrgreen:
  9. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I earned the nickname "Ziplock" during my brief military career with a reserve unit. During a platoon inspection by the Capt, he briefly called me Ziplock instead of my real last name. It was all downhill after that. Shortly there after when ever some one asked me how Ziplock was doing, I'd answer "Keeping It Fresh, ...Sgt, Corp, Sir..." You get the idea.

Could have been worse considering the other versions I've heard my last name twisted into.
  10. doctorwayne

Most names are easy fodder for changing into nicknames. In the last department in which I worked, everybody, and I mean everybody, had a nickname, many not repeatable on a family-friendly Forum such as this. It took me a couple of months to figure out which nickname corresponded to which real name on the seniority list, as most had absolutely nothing to do with the person's real name. :rolleyes:

11. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Okay- just to set the record straight... is pronounced Jeep. Now since that is settled...

It's MCL - just like ya see it, M - C - L. Manayunk Canal Line.

JEEP GP Gee P