Projects et al

rockislandmike

Well, nothing really major to speak of. I keep meaning to get to Redrock Canyon, but I need to configure and build a straight bridge that holds a curved track before I can start on the scenery.

At any rate, here's a couple of recent covered hoppers I did for Solutia Inc. "Solutia Inc." covered hoppers are used for the transportation of para-nitrochlorobenzene (NO2C6H4Cl), transported as yellowish crystals, and used in agriculture, animal feed, dyes/pigments, engineering polymers, and rubber chemicals. Solutia Inc. is a prototype company (www.solutia.com), although they were part of Monsanto at the time of my layout (1980), and do not have their own railcars in real life.

sidx.jpg

This second photo is of an Eastern Car Works F38 heavy duty flatcar I've been working on. It's still not quite done (brake wheels and weathering for the most part is all that's left), and it didn't come out quite as kewl as I had hoped because the instructions left a LOT to be desired. However, it's still pretty kewl. I lettered it for Rock Island (of course), despite the fact that they didn't actually have any. I've got another one in the project pile, that I think I'll build for MOPAC (who actually did own a few).

rockf38.jpg

cidchase

Hi Mike,
That is some good lookin' stuff there, very realistic!!
I'm wondering how the heck that flatcar accommodates
curves with those extra trucks, does something slide or pivot underneath,
could you show a detail pic? (not to be a pain, but it's really interesting)
Is Eastern Car Works a kit maker?
Thanx,

Clerk

Great looking cars Mike. I also would like to know how that flat car accomedates curves. Any chance for a underneath shot?

rockislandmike

Your wish is my command. It's basetically composed of three parts - two "span bolsters" (I think that's what the instructions called them, but as I said, the instructions sucked so much it's hard to say) - and then the deck itself. The deck has two pins which fit into the holes in the span bolsters.

rockf38under.jpg