Project Phoenix!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Apr 1, 2008.

What project should I start?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2008.
  1. A series of 1:1000 TOS Star Trek ships?

23 vote(s)
  2. Vesels from the Terran Trade Authority books?

14 vote(s)
  3. A comprehensive set of Freespace 2 ships?

8 vote(s)
  4. Stop messing around and make some more Warhammer stuff!

21 vote(s)
  5. Something completely different!

18 vote(s)
  1. Perry

Perry New Member

Trek ships are always a winning choice... you could start with "little" ships to create dioramas of "space encounters"... a saladin class in battle with a klingon interceptor, a tug near a starbase, ect ect... we can say: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations :D...

It would be Wonderful!!!!!!
  2. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I mourn with you. Really I do. and I know of what you speak when it comes to lost work and lost data. 'nuf said.

Do whatever stirs your passion. We'll all be very happy no matter how you priorititize your efforts. Its all good. I saw and really liked that Saladin, even though I know next to nothing about trek. Do what floats your boat, creams your twinkie, froths your milk...whatever. Anything emerging from your secret labs will be excellent and very welcomed.
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Thanks! I really appreciate your kind words.

I am off on holiday for the next couple of weeks, and will be away from the PC completely. It will give me time to decide on what to do, and then I will see how the poll turned out too. It is always interesting to see what models the community lacks when I can't make up my own mind!
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Interestingly, I have been perusing the various blueprint sites for Trek ships, and it looks very much like there is a 'kitbash' kind of setup for a lot of stuff out there. Build a nice 'Enterprise' 1701 saucer section. Make a nice nacelle model. Then.... make a whole load of ships by joining these together in a variety of interesting ways!

If I were to make these bits as seperate PDO files, make the ship names and ID numbers as seperate stick on pieces, and you can get a LOT of models released with relatively low amounts of duplicated effort.

The plus side of this is that I can invest a lot of effort into making a REALLY nice nacelle, and a REALLY nice saucer, and then just make a load of bits that join them together in fun ways.

Hmm....I feel the beginnings of a plan! Or...could that be related to the fact that I can now see the bottom of the bottle of Jack Daniels. Ahh....JD. The Karmic balance that makes up for McDonalds and KFC...
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Brilliant! That would be the way to go. I'd like to see that. Great way to kitbash things. I've said for some time that many of the TOS based ships in particular are just conversions of the same basic elements. The Surya, Dreadnought, Destroyer and any number of kits could be made from the basic elements of the Enterprise, with minor size variations and changes. Brilliant@

Make em hgihres so I can up size em. WHOOT!:thumb:
  6. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Textures are planned at 1024x1024 ... anything smaller is not worth it. Might go a bit bigger, but it tends to make for much bigger filesizes!

I am working on the main meshes now, abd will finish up when I get back from my holidcays ina couple of weeks. I plan to make some extra details... like recessed windows for those that want them. Either use the stock sheets flat...or cut out the windows and glue the supplied 'window strips' inside to show recesses.

At 1:1000 scale, it is possible to do a lot more than 1:1700, and the models are still not so big that they take up huge amounts of room.
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

If you need any help with references, or artwork, or anything else, let me know!:thumb:
  8. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I voted for TREK, but ultimatly it's up to you.
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Agreed, it's always better for an artist to work on the thing that interests him most.
  10. Kjev

Kjev Member

I'd have to go with Bolo Tanks.

My brother-in-law says "Great Fox" from Starfox. Cool ship, and it's mostly white, which is nice for ink.

Another option would be the Aerial Terminator from the movies we all know and love.

11. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

On that site I linked to, at the bottom of the page there's some sets of kitbashing parts for drawings which should provide all the variation you need.
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Amazing, another thread popping to the top of its own volition.sign1
  13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK...I am backfrom the holiday, the bags are still to be unpacked, but I am raring to get stuck into some new works.

The poll results show a definite winner in the Star Trek 1:1000 scale models. This will be the bulk of what I will work on in the coming weeks. I have had a couple of offers to help out with these, and I can see there is a need for some good, reasonably detailed ships in this area. Plenty of nice stuff for the later ships, just not enough early ships for my liking. So I will do something to retify that situation. Already started in fact!

Also, I can see that there is a healthy number of people who want more in the way of Warhammer 40K vehicles. Relax, wargamers, there shall be more! I have a prt unfolded Valkyrie, and have done some modelling on the Baneblade variants. I plan to release some more Space Marine armour first though. Look for a Rhino and a Land Raider as the next releases in that line.

Finally, just so I don;t get out at all for the next few months, I took along my copy of the original TTA bible.... and while I was lazing about soaking up the sunshine, I was trying to turn the images in the book into actual 3-view diagrams I could build from. A lot of the ships are shown in part, and much artistic licence is needed to make them actual 3-D shapes ...but with a few exceptions, I have sketches of the ships that I could build from. Some of the vessels will be a REAL challenge .... like the alphan Fatboy ... but most should be practical in terms of construction. Open book at page 1, and start building the CAM 117 'Nuclear Kite' .....

Going to enjoy doing this lot!!!!
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Very cool, very cool indeed. Glad to see you back. So, you're going to finish some of the things you've started right? I'm trying to finish up a few things before I start anything else, as well. Looking forward to you progress and updates. Keep on Trekkin!:thumb: