Project: Model Instructions Library

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by billmcc, Jul 19, 2004.

1. billmcc

billmcc Member

Hi All,

Before building his P-51D Mustang model, Greg Leszczynski emailed Halinski and requested an english translation of the instructions for their Mustang kit. He received the translation (a 40kb text file in .pdf format) within 24 hours.

This discovery gave me an idea: to compile a library of translated model instructions. To get the library started, I would like members of to email Halinski and request an english translation of the instructions for the Halinski (aircraft, ship and vehicle) models they have purchased (or plan to buy in the near future). Once you receive the instructions, upload it to the Parts Bin to share it with all members.

Here is Halinski's email address:
    Here is Halinski's url:

Ron, could you please make a new area in the Parts Bin for this library? Call it something like "Model Instructions Library".

I have just requested english instructions for Halinski's F117 model. I would like to do the same for GPM's F117, but I can't find an email address for the publisher. Does anyone have a valid email address for GPM?

Which model(s) are you going to do?
  2. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

You may think I'm wrong for saying this, but honestly, I personally think we should back off a bit from this kind of idea. I think this kind of thing is more of a "stale" type of idea. By stale, I mean that it's the kind of information that is good to have somewhere such as an archive, but which really ought to be the responsibility of the manufacturer and not a forum archive type of thing.

My personal suggestion to you would be that you email Halinski and GPM and ask them to start hosting English instructions on the website. This gives them a chance to provide good customer service, helps with any possible copyright issues (yes even on instructions), and would give their own customers a better idea of what they're buying. There is no good reason (except for a possible cash shortage :wink: ) that I can think of why they wouldn't respond to a polite email asking this. It would even save them time emailing folks who would want the instructions. Either that, or you could email them and offer to host a page of such things yourself. You could host it somewhere like where you can get a free website.

Please understand, I think it's a good idea, but I think that some things such as this idea, "first look" reviews, and a few other ideas are honestly not the kind of posts that keep up interest in the message board. I'm not intending to discourage new ideas either.

When I log on, the first thing I look at is the or "view posts since last visit" feature, and if it's a first look review, I generally ignore it unless someone actually is going to be working on it. "In construction", and building reports are in my opinion a lot better deal for the message board format and generally a more helpful and accurate look at the kit.

Just my two cents.
  3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

A library of instructions is a darned good idea

I don't wish to start a quarrel, but I do think collecting instructions in English is a darn good idea, and exactly the kind of thing a serious forum should be about. To explain why, I could list what I like:

• Archived articles of lasting value on different techniques
    • Hints & tips & tools, often worth saving for the future
    • Good instructions to software techniques; in particular at "the layman's level" (although I could probably never hope to get to the level of 3D, I appreciate the efforts and progress of others, and admire it).

I guess this adds up to the fact that I'm all for building up a library of cardmodel techniques. The e-book project and the article section are my favourites (although they are not as well developed yet as I think they could be, given the plethora of good material coming out on the site).

Making up a section of existing instructions in English certainly would be a part of that. I know I would have appreciated that on many an occasion, and the single instructions sheet provided for the P51 already helped me with translations of symbols, just to mention one aspect.

So, thanks for that, Greg, and thanks Bill for the suggestion, which never entered my mind, although it should have. And Ryan, like I said, hope there is no hard feeling. Just goes to show how different our tastes are.

Leif Oh.
  4. Ron

Ron Member

Hi guys

I don't mind adding another section to the parts bin at all. I do have quite a few kits that could use translated instructions as I'm sure many others do. For the most part, I find diagrams sufficient but being able to follow a building sequence might help ward off a lot of headaches. I'm going to re-arrange the bin now to accomodate them properly.

Good ideas :)

5. tino

tino Member

I send an e mail recently to JSC and they also can give english instructions of all of their models.
    Modelik say's that don't have them.
    Hailinski like everibody knows send can send the englisha instructios.
    GPM, I have request the english instrutions for the me 262 a few months ago in the old site and didn't receive any answer. GPM site at this moment don't have any kind email or other contact.
    ANSWER, I don't know if they have english instructions or no.
  6. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Resonse to Leif Oh

You didn't get the point of my post... I'm all for the instructions, etc... I was suggesting that if emails are to be made to the manufacturers, then those emails should first request that the manufacturers post those files on their own websites, where people could download them. That's basic customer service. It would also keep Ron's workload down, and keep the useability of this site at a higher level (and less bandwidth). Condsidering the number of Polish, Czechoslavakian, German, Japanese, and other sources, such a collection could potentially get explosively large, and if some people are as junky about kit instructions as they are about free kits (ya know who I'm talking about. You folks who just can't resist downloading EVERY freebie that comes along regardless of whether or not it'll ever get printed out and used), that could REALLY be a large chunk of bandwidth. If is going to be hosting all of the instructions for some company such as Halinski, GPM, JSC, or anyone else, then they really should be advertising or something that would help with the bandwidth. That's potentialy a lot of free marketing for them.
    That's why I suggested someone build another website as more of a "archive" section if they really want just a collection of instructions in English. I for one could REALLY use some translations for a few Fly Model kits of mine as well.

Oh, and BTW, there is more stuff in the works for the Articles section! So keep an eye out for a week or three from now. ;-)

7. lgl007

lgl007 Member

Well, I'm ok with it one way or another. I would love to read the instructions before buying a kit though, just to give me an idea of the build. But, I am just as happy sending an e-mail to the manufacturer to get them as well /shrug.

Either way I have sent to the "Parts Bin" two more instructions that I received from Halinski when I requested my Bismarck instructions:

Halinski 1:200 Bismarck English Instructions
    Halinski 1:33 F-14 Tomcat English Instructions

They were in basic text format so I decided to clean them up a bit to be very similar to Halinski's new instructional pages.

8. billmcc

billmcc Member

Hi All,

Halinski sent me an english translation for their F-117 model instructions. It is in a 16k .doc file. I just uploaded it to the "Parts Bin" and should be available for downloading shortly.
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

OK. Got the idea. No quarrel with that. And Tino, thanks for the information that Halinski regularly provides English instructions. Will write for one on my P39 which is waiting around exactly for the lack of instructions on a particularly difficult section. I'll be sure to include the suggestion that they post it on their site!

Looks like my Polish elderly neighbour lady will have a lot less headache in the future!

Best, Leif
  10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Update: Posted the P39N Airacobra instructions in the new section within the parts bin - and prodded Halinski to publish all such instructions on their own web.

Funny thing is, on the one item where I got stuck - the doors - the instructions say: "The way the door should be made is left to the constructor's imagination" (sic!).

Imagine that.

11. billmcc

billmcc Member

Greetings All,

I just uploaded the english instructions for GPM's F117 model.

I could not find an email address on GPM's website. So, I sent my request to a generic address I have seen used at many websites ( The reply came with this email address:

The instructions was in the email message itself, so I copied and pasted it to a generic word processing file. It took about 5 days to receive these translated instructions from GPM. The main body of the instructions is one very long paragraph. I left it that way.
  12. Darwin

Darwin Member

Lief, my old differential equations professor must work at Helinski. Whenever he got stuck on the problem solution, he would say "and from here it is obvious that the answer is..." and write the answer on the blackboard. It is nice to know that even the big boys hit building snags they can't figure out.