Project Dropship 1:24 / Aliens

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wonderful Renders you are doing. They are Superb! Some of these should be in the "Renders and Illustrations", nice and big, for "Desktop Backgrounds".

As far as drop tanks, and gas tank filling points, the main concern is to not have a tube. You want the fillers points right on the tank. A tube leading to a tank could leak and cause major leak, and vapor problems, leading to an explosion, or crew poisoning. Every aircraft I ever filled had the fuel tanks like this. :)

Alien99

Papercraft Member
after some serious measurements I´ve done the Cargo Lock door 21.:D

drop-progress-87.jpg

And side gates...;)

drop-progress-89.jpg

camera looking trough the READY RM (marines running to the APC here).:cigar:

drop-progress-88.jpg

and overall view :eek:

Last edited:

Cforrest900

OH MY

one of these days I'm honestly expecting to come to this thread and find a full model of the Sulaco, complete with interiors and everything

Your work is awe inspiring

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Sulaco Bay - Case 1/3 - measurements

Today is the first day of the miniseries about sulaco bay.
I must put the bay into right light and explain my steps and I will need a little feedback from you :)

First view - of the creators of the movie set in 1:1 scale.
Second view - of the sfx modellers of the 1:12!? miniature
Third view
- of the papermodellers and their building procedures and limitations of the paper

Fourth (most important)view - of how the things could work in the far future or Virtually make the real life USS sulaco

Case No.1 - measurements, position of second dropship.

First of all we have here the movie prop 1:1, but it is not completed. Then the sfx miniature exist...according to it the Bay has about 85 meters in lenght.
..but there is a problem...this kind of bay has not fit into the sulaco.;)

I´ve erased one space between curved pillars and obtained optimal lenght ~75 metres...like in my old 2009 measurements of the sulaco.

scale-real4.jpg

Then I´ve noticed another thing...the position of second dropship is not in the axis with first one and the whole bay area.

Just remember Bishop remotely put the sequence into the sulaco...The portal crane with dropship 02 moved to the right first ,
then ahead, above the pressure chamber door.

drop-progress-96.jpg

Another notice: All doors marked as CARGO LOCK look s like doors to the one room...like store room...for powerloader or other bay staff.
.. It is nice that all the rooms can fit into the sulaco....;)

drop-progress-95.jpg

drop-progress-97.jpg

it is nice tat the bay fits in there perfectly...
I´ve done those two videos for your better imagination

and question of the day: How they transport the dropship parts into the bay in case of damaged wing...for example..trough which door? :D

Last edited:

Enchanter

Hello Jan!

The answer to your question is: they don't!

I mean, you don't repair aircraft in the middle of runway, and drop hangar is just that, preparations (refuel and rearm) and drop.

For sophisticated repair and maintance there should be separate hangar with all necessary equipment. In my opinion, the hangar on forward lower deck (the one with crane) is the best choice.

Although, there are 10 cargo hangars in the middle deck which can be used for that too.

Cheers,
Enchanter

ASC Mclaren

Hello Jan!

The answer to your question is: they don't!

I mean, you don't repair aircraft in the middle of runway, and drop hangar is just that, preparations (refuel and rearm) and drop.

For sophisticated repair and maintance there should be separate hangar with all necessary equipment. In my opinion, the hangar on forward lower deck (the one with crane) is the best choice.

Although, there are 10 cargo hangars in the middle deck which can be used for that too.

Cheers,
Enchanter
I agree with your assessment of airport operations, but my view is that the Sulaco is more like a DDG such as the Arleigh Burke. The maintenance would occur in the same bay as the drop ships are stored, armed, launched and recovered. Any truly heavy maintenance would occur at a depot facility off ship.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Great Video Renders, it is the best perspective on size of this ship I have ever seen. Superb! :)

desktopsimmer

Wow, this blows my project out of the water and thanks for visiting my Blog. Also I'm glad to see someone else is having the same 'headaches' as me :)

I've based my Dropship on the 1:72 scale diecast model from Aoshima.

Several things that have plagued me since I started the project myself.

1) The cargo bay of the Dropship - How the hell do some seats, an APC and a rear stairwell fit in! I've managed to alter the cargo bay enough to make it work without altering the APC. I'd had to make cunning change to the ramp and rear stairwell, but it works
2) The APC - does it have the Engines/Motor in the wheels? Also how to make it fit into the cargo bay, it look like the wheels/suspension lowers the APC. This would make the APC a bit more "off-road" when crossing battle field. Maybe they increase the height of the APC more?
3) Where does the fuel get stored - One idea I thought of is that the Hover engines are fuelled by conventional means, but could the two main engines be powered by Fission/Fussion reactors. The idea was proposed for long range bombers in the colder war, but deemed unsafe and expensive.
4) Sulaco's Cargo bay refueling/umbilicals/crane -I've still not got a satisfactory model. I'll revisit the hangar after I've completed a couple of other projects.

I'll checking every once in a while to see the fantastic progress you're making :)

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Thanx for all comment....really
Enchanter - If we think about the bay(hangar) as a runway...then yes,BUT the runway was shrinked into the "trap door" under the first dropship....the rest of the bay is some sort of storing space. Just look at the mess around..rockets, bombs, holder, powerloaders,benches, transporters....and etc...:D
You have a good point with another hangar or space somewhere else. I belive that there are 3 more levels above the sulaco bay. I´m operating with the white circular stickers on each "bay" (space between pillars)..there is AIRWAY 4D for READY ROOM for example. I think that the letter D can be level of the bay.....so there must be A,B and C also :D;)

and what the AIRWAY means? Airconditionned (pressurized room/block)?...place where is hidden some sort atmosphere/air route/technology?..o_O

The cargo hangars (you wrote) are far away from the bay ....on the other side of the Sulaco

1) The seats must be adjustable (in closed pose they are as a compact mass of the wall..or so)..this whole thing is scale problem....scale of the APC...i´ve discovered earlier :rolleyes:
2) Same issue as 1) ..APC and adaptive suspension...you are on the right way.....and yes, there must be unique motor in each wheel and as the HIDRIDE ION guy who created the blueprint of it (according to movie) it is called TRANSAXLE system :D
3) If you mean power for APC...only space is behind that Gordman´s monitors wall.....we can spaculate what power source it is :blackeye::hungover:
4) Blu ray version of ALIENS is really good source of informations.;) (yep Hi-res reveals more details).......and some bonus photos of the BONUS section also:D

Last edited:

Marco Scheloske

I don´t know..o_O
real lenght of the hangar is 85meters.:rolleyes:...that mean 3.54 meters in 1:24 scale...:dead:...who is such a lunatic to build (have a space for) this thing:D

yes, but... a complete bay to put in front of your SULCAO model, in-scale to it... would be much smaller and veeeeery cool!

desktopsimmer

Watching the film. when there are parts of the Dropship (must be at least zillion times!) I think the seat on the starboard side this must be a folding seat (the one that Riley and Newt sit on). It's apparently a seat for a 3rd crew member. The other two seat on the Port side (Hicks sits in one of these), looks like it the ones in the APC. If you have the Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual there is reference on page 42 about the seats, but nothing else useful.

As we know, the payload bay can be equipped with the Trusty M-577 (I'd love one of the these and FYI I've woredk next to the Hunslett factory where the actual original Aircraft tow was made!), or a HALOS pallet. Interesting. If they where doing a drop of cargo (like a C-130 Hercules), maybe the ramp can have variable configurations. For example, to drop the HALOS pallet in flight, landing gear is up and the ramp is lowered, but the tilt is towards the rear, not the front, so that drag chutes can deployed and the HALOS pallet leaves the dropship. this would mean to me that you can tweak the lengths of the Hydraulic cylinder guilt free, so long as it fits ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I think there are more Bays are stacked up. It wouldn't make sense to not have more capability into a ship capable of traveling such distances, even if it wasn't fully outfitted this time. :)

biggusdoggus

I agree Zathros - it also looks like there might be room for a 3rd dropship in the hanger. It would make sense to have a further deck of dropships on a floor above - a storage area if you will, prior to the ships being moved (lowered) into the (preparation) hanger to be readied for the drop - like a modern day aircraft carrier, albeit upside down.

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
This craft has some kind of gravity inducing plating, so turn it off, and move the whole shuttle bay. It wouldn't be difficult at all. It would be rather easy to shuffle ships around. This picture I found, and I do not attest to it's accuracy, seems to make more sense. I can't imagine sending such a large ship into space with so little bit of weapons, even though that is what they did in the movie (a big hole in the storyline, IMHO). Multiple drop bays, and multiple drop locations makes more sense. The over head crane/gantry set up really makes sense. :)

sulaco-blog.png

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Hi gang,
i am back from my vacation. Seriously needed one :happy:. Well, I ´ll slowly flow in to our discussion and try to answer some questions :bookworm:

Marco Scheloske - Hi Marco. The hangar will be even smaller ...real 75 meters... in 1:430 scale....it is 17cm in lenght...very cute:p .

desktopsimmer - I take the movie (bonus materials) as the prior source of information. USCMTM is fan made same way what we doing now, but with major difference...we are thinking about it :watching:. About the hydraulics...I´m thinking same way...the ramp must be optionally posed into horizontal position...for cargo deploy or boarding the soldiers..:cool:

Alejandro Gomez - That´s OK...thanks.... Greetings from Czech Rep.;)

zathros - If we think about Sulaco as a giant puzzle,then is predictable one or more same floors. I think , threre is something like general repair floor or some sort of workshop,...the fueling floor..and so on..:rolleyes:

biggusdoggus - just like aircraft carrier...exactly ;)

zathros - The concept of the Sulaco is the same as nostromo and plenty other scifi ships. They all have some floor gravity system that guarantees the orientation of the hallways and the whole ship. Sure there are places with no gravity and no pressure.(I highly recomended the DEAD SPACE game...the USG ISHIMURA has this sys
tem)

just look at the pictograms of the nostromo :)

alien_semiotic_standard_icons_by_scotch_and_soda-d351v1c.jpg

Sulaco has the same :D