Project Dropship 1:24 / Aliens

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Its a science fiction, but this is nothing new in arcrafts world except that fuel vent for filling both "inner and outer fuel tanks."...I ve consutled it with my friend.
He is MI-24 Helicopter czech military technician and I´ve consulted the dropship fuel management idea (that big picture) with him...in real world borders of course
icon_wink.gif

He is OK with it.
There is no problem with the fuel inlet and fuel tank near rockets. Arcrafts have fuel tanks in wings and under them rockets and bombs.
There is no problem even with the external fuel tank (that bomb shape thingy) together with the rocket on one rocket holder under the wing.
He likes the idea of inner separated fuel tanks.It´s nothing new, Mi-24 has multiple fuel tanks (fuen inlets) with switches and pumps between them...you can transfer the fuel into engine(s)
literally from every corner of the craft.

He has one note: The blue "pod fuel tank" is mess in opening the arms. 2x2000 Litres rotated in long arm is little incomfortable. Center of gravity is rapidly changing and
the arm itself looks not very solid
icon_biggrin.gif
. Its a movie ..He knows.(and we don´t know the weight of the fuel...maybe is lighter than today´s fuels...who knows...)
There is one solution. Fuel management. Fuel for burning will be taken from pods first... The reentry maneuvre consume both external POD tanks for sure
icon_smile.gif

He think that the concept of the dropship and our fan fiction of scifi fiction of the creators (Ron Cobb?) of this craft is righ according to Aliens world combined with the aspect to real world.
............this way I thank him
icon_wink.gif

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Phew, I was so excited about this that I didn't read "POD" but "PDO" instead..! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is going to be quite the build once it is ready.
I am GREATLY LOOKING FORWARD to seeing it actually built!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
THAT would be COOOOOL!!! Just imagine, the base plus the mounting device PLUS a suitable backdrop would make a SUPERB dio / display piece!!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I have a new BSG hangar bay standing by which is a few square meters big..! ;)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
GREAT video!!!
It is always interesting to see things like this. It gives some insight to what all goes into designing a model to those who have to real idea of the process.
THANK YOU for sharing it with us!

57townsman

Awesome video, Jan!
While watching your video, it occurred to me that the mounting device should be on a gantry. It would pick up a dropship from the rear position, fuel it, then carry it to the hanger door position for launch.;)

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Enchanter - good work wth the ramp. I have one easier variant in mind .I will look at it later..don´t worry..thanks;)

little more pics:D

drop-progress-82.jpg

"pillar of light" .:eek:..it was really hard to obtain it´s specific dimensionso_O

drop-progress-83.jpg

the Sulaco bay corner :cigar:

drop-progress-84.jpg

quick renders of the whole thing :angelic:

drop-progress-85.jpg

drop-progress-8600.jpg

and one quick render video...in HD :hungry:

Last edited:

Alien99

Papercraft Member
I don´t know..o_O
real lenght of the hangar is 85meters.:rolleyes:...that mean 3.54 meters in 1:24 scale...:dead:...who is such a lunatic to build (have a space for) this thing:D

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I don´t know..o_O
real lenght of the hangar is 85meters.:rolleyes:...that mean 3.54 meters in 1:24 scale...:dead:...who is such a lunatic to build (have a space for) this thing:D

It would make for a GREAT museum piece!:D