Project Dropship 1:24 / Aliens

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Dec 28, 2007
Czech Rep.
aliens.humlak.cz
Hi again fellow papermodellers/builders/designers,

It is 1.5 years since u.s.s.Sulaco was finished and I needed a break from all ALIENS things.:cool:

12 years ago I´ve builded a Dropship from Derrin Proctors 3D model made by Halcyon plastic kit. The paper model was horrible and I cancelled the development of this iconic ship for one year.
Derrin´s 3D model is still around in the internet and you can download it in various formats. Every second dropship you will google is based on his project.:cool:

In 2003 I ve created my own AutoCad 3D model that i liked and...after that (2005) I´ve constructed the cockpit only...that was the last thing I did for the dropship.

NOW
i thing is the right time to reopen my project of the
1:24 scale UD-4L Cheyenne Utility Dropship

Well...This time it will be little bit different. If you look into internet, you will find few modellers who designed their dropships by themselves.
Sometime better sometimes less better according to released reference materials.
DSC06517-500x210.jpg
drop-preview.png

Derrin Proctor´s 3D dropship.

DROPSHIP_3Dstudio_Model_by_proteus6007.jpg

Halcyon model kit

Pic_0073.jpg

and finally ..one of the movie props

Prop2.jpg

Thre are so many differences, from the model props and 1:1 studio installed Dropship in the movie, trough official model kit from Halcyon to each modelers around the world....SO..

I´ve decide to go my way. There will be no such movie 100% accurate model, (it can´t be done anyway) but it will be dropship trough my eyes. I want to make fully moveable model - front legs, rocket pods, rear leg, wings....:eek:
Where is no reference material, no detail (like engine intakes) or some ugly thing or movie dropship and movie prop not match -> then is time for my inovation :)

...it will be long way trip..specially with the 3d model development....so be patient
I started wit my 11 years old model and thinking about the moveable parts:

drop-progress-00.jpg

drop-progress-04.jpg

drop-progress-01.jpg

drop-progress-05.jpg

moveable leg - optimalized for papermodel

drop-progress-03.jpg

drop-progress-02.jpg

drop-progress-08.jpg

rentgen view...

drop-progress-09.jpg

drop-progress-07.jpg

battle mode
drop-progress-06.jpg

..that´s all for now.....i hope that there will be more progress soon.;)

Last edited:

D-WHALE

Utopia Planitia Engineer
Aug 25, 2007
Schwedt/Oder, Germany
Ja, this is really COOOOOL! i thought you already canceled this project, because i saw some pictures of textured parts in your "trash" folder on your page! good to see, that this project will continue! :cool:

57townsman

Jan 21, 2004
Cypress, CA
Jan,
Has it been 12 years already?! I've been hoping you would one day continue your dropship project. You did so much work before, you have a great base to begin anew :)

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Dec 28, 2007
Czech Rep.
aliens.humlak.cz
D-WHALE
jep, there are some pics of the cockpit, but for wrong dropship...the Derrin´s one. And need to be optimalized=> new cockpit :mad:

cockpit1.jpg
cockpit2.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

here is something new: Nobody know how look like engine intakes...there are no detail in all movie miniatures or the bigh studio one....so...here is my interpretation of it.;)

drop-progress-10.jpg

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Jan, this is GREAT news!

As for the moving parts, I'd be in heaven to see a working hatch and swinging wings. I've always been wondering how the wings swing open without hitting each other... :rolleyes:

The moving feet look very tricky and I am looking forward to seeing how you do it. (As I said, wings and hatch would make me completely happy, so if the feet don't work, just add static ones and everything will be fine ;) .)

All thumbs up! :):):)

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Dec 28, 2007
Czech Rep.
aliens.humlak.cz
If you mean swinging wings those rear rocket pods on the arms, then this moveable part is no problem. It is technicaly done perfect. Second arm waits till first is fully opened and then, there is a space for moving the second one. It is nice , smooth and easy. Dropship bay, front legs and rear leg specially is different level. Rear leg is the reason why i stoped the project back in 2003

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I repaired your post. When on YouTube, select"Old Style Emjbed", then, highlight, copy and paste the entire data string into the "YouTube Popup Window" that comes up at Zealot.

This model is going to live on the internet as long as there is an Internet!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Now THAT'S a BIG revelation for me since I have never been able to figure out how it is done :) (the scene in the movie is so dark and photographed from such a flat angle that you can barely see that). Jan, thank you very much for showing this and many thanks to zathros for embedding the vid.

biggusdoggus

Jan 3, 2014
It [swinging arms] is nice , smooth and easy.

and you're doing all this in paper? You Sir, are what some would call crazy. Bravo !!

I cannot wait to see how this turns out (and of course, as mentioned in papermodellers, see the APC that will need to be made to go with it)

Last edited:

Alien99

Papercraft Member
Dec 28, 2007
Czech Rep.
aliens.humlak.cz
The thing does not go well all the time...Here are few minor things i must solve:rolleyes:

drop-progress-13.jpg

a first I´ve optimalized the rotation base of the Rocket pod arms. There will be bearing like parts for smooth rotation.(there was minor intersection between parts)..this problem i sloved :)

drop-progress-11.jpg

at second is here the situation of the hydraulics of the drop bay_?!
The rough position /moving/ scale pic is my first idea.:rolleyes:

drop-progress-12.jpg

Because of that hydraulics, the front legs must be moved little bit to the side (there is a minor excentricity between
leg hydraulics axis and leg base (foot) axis marked as the value X )..The same situation is in 1:1 scale model from the movie = someone thought about that = right way :cool:

think about the situation of flying dropship with closed legs and opened bay. Excentric legs allow this.......good to know :)

This picture is out of words. I mut thing HOW TO PUT THE APC INTO THE DROPSHIP. I dont know how yet....

..make the APC smaller ?..no way....
..deform it somehow?....maybe ?....I don´t know now...I must realize deeper research about this problematics.:mad:

Last edited: