Project CPR Selkirk T1

Here is an update. Today I installed the main smokestack and fabricated the begining of the trailing truck.

Selkirk%20114.jpg

Selkirk%20116.jpg

Selkirk%20118.jpg

Selkirk%20119.jpg

A few words about the trailing truck. Both wheels will be the same size. The 'beam' comming out the back will be shortned (of course), and will also mount various plugs for the DCC.

David

siderod

David,
Lookin sweet so far...i was kinda questioning the different sized wheels on the trailing truck, but your the master here, and i figure you must know what your doing. Can't wait to see more updates!

seanm

David,

Very nice! I wish I had such skills. Thanks for posting your updates. I will be wating for the next update with bait like breath... at least that is what my wife says! (grin)

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
David, Wish i was that talented to kitbash something like that, although i lack skills in that department of the hobby. :eek:ops: Your project looks to be coming along at a very good pace. Keep us posted on the project & IT LOOKS GREAT :wave: :wave:

siderod said:
David,
Lookin sweet so far...i was kinda questioning the different sized wheels on the trailing truck, but your the master here, and i figure you must know what your doing. Can't wait to see more updates!

Yup...after looking at my pro photos, Ive decided to go simple with my trailing truck (interms of mech).

The cab is a M by E and it was modified by filing down the angle I need for the cab.

David

Here is an update.

I have installed the cab windows (allowing me to permenatly cement it to the boiler), various boiler details and other little things. The boiler is sitting a tad high on the frame....need to lower it....then....I get started on the pilot!

Selkirk%20120.jpg

Selkirk%20121.jpg

Selkirk%20122.jpg

Note that the handrails are soldered on....allowing for a finer profile.

Also note the 3rd variation of the trailing truck (unmodified....yet). It is simply a set of axles from an old JNR tender I kitbased pieces from a few years ago. It will be modified to to look like the CP prototype (and its a PRESS FIT....KISS people...KISS)

Also note the lack of side rods. I have to fabricate a set :(. Oh well, more fun for me!

David

Chris333 said:
Would this be a bad time to mention the new con-cor 2-10-2?

Is this a bad time to mention the pricetag of the 2-10-2? :eek: Is it a bad time to mention that this entire project is costing less than 40 bucks :D

When I kitbash, I make use of what I have around. Too many N scalers are "shake and bake modelers". I am not.

David

ps. I suppose if you wanted a Selkirk, you could always buy brass......and pay big bucks.

Here is the completed pilot.......Still a little shiny from all the solder.

Selkirk%20137.jpg

the coupler fits right in and is at the correct height.

David

siderod

David,

It's been 3 days, 4 hours and 5 minutes since you last progress update...you must have done something since then!!

C'mon man, get with it! :p

Later
AR :wave: :thumb:

Delamaize

I am having withdralws!

I need a update!!!! I am having withdralw!!! hehe just kidding, But seriously, how goes the T-1?

All goes fine. I think im going to put the project on the back burner until I can find a better chassis. If I can find a MicroAce E-10, Id be in heaven.

David

siderod said:
Care to elaborate? Whats wrong with the KATO mikado on steriods you got now?

Well...I fried a decoder by trying to put it in the Cab. I might still work on it...I need a more planning though....

David

David, that Selkirk was coming on a treat, one of the best scratch builds I have ever seen, it would be a shame for it to go on the back burner. http://japanese-model-supplies.com/ might be able to find you a second hand E10, although I've never dealth with them, they do claim to be able to get stuff from second hand markets in japan.

I have a quick question about the real Selkirk in the Heritage Park...is it possible to get photographs of it from outside the park? the reason I ask is that I'll be in Calgary next week and would love to get some shots, but I realise the park is closed for the off season. Thus if I could shoot over the fence or something it would be a real plus.

Cheers

Simon