Project # 382178

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gearz, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gearz

Gearz Member

I guess everyone should venture out of their comfort zone now and again. * It gets cold in space if you stay out there to long.. :yep:

Being a chronic project junky with way to many models in development concurrently, its satisfying to have a productive session on any one project. I've finally built some textures that I'm happy with for this one, and the 3D mesh is sort of working out to test build stage, so for the sake of posting a few pics, its a ...... well..

If you've been designing models in only one category, I'd recommend trying on something a little different. Its a great reality check for your skills !! ~ "muuuummy..."

Attached Files:

• g1.jpg
      File size:
      38.3 KB
  2. Stormeagle

Stormeagle Member

Isn't that a Thunderbolt engine ? Good job on texturing.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is nice! I thought it was an already built model part :)
  4. Gearz

Gearz Member

Stormeagle ~ The P47 is one on of my favourites ( if I was rich enough, I'd own one!) so I've altered the cowling on the subject to resemble the thunderbolts, so excellent guess but nope.

cgutzmer ~ Yep.. Its coming up reasonably well, no lighting effect used at all. Now.. if I could only build a model as nice as it looks in 3D, I'd be one happy

There's so many aspects to designing you have to be a jack of all trades, which sadly I am ~ ( Master of none) . I've always been fascinated ( and frustrated ) about the dramatic differences it the appearance of a 3D model on screen ( rendered image or on screen, particularly in games) and the typically uniform tones of the textures used for the base model. ~ Blast those beautiful 3D lighting effects, if we could only imprint the lighting effects onto the textures ( easily) !!

As part of my crusade to rectify this abomination, the only two solutions I've come up with is to, One :- Apply shadow/lighting to the unfolded parts/patterns using a bitmap editor, Or...Two:- Build custom textures for the 3D model. The easiest is method 1, for the best results and most flexibility, its method 2... If anyone has a method 3..? I'd be all ears..

So, the goal is to 'literally' get what you see on screen, as a card model.

The checker / chess pattern, for the cowling on this project is a reasonable example to bang on about, I wanted the checker pattern to 'fit' correctly on the cowl + have light and dark shadowing, as would be the case in the physical world. I've attached the original texture I tried to use. For those of you using Metasquoia, try making an oval shape /form similar to engine cowling, then apply the texture to it.. No matter how you get it to look in META, converted to a card model, the resulting patterns are going to be the same colour /tones as the original texture. = Phooooeeeee!

I suck at explaining stuff / writing tuts, but If anyone's interested I'll try to explain how I converted the chess texture, into the one I used in the pics on this project.

Say.. that's a BIG Spinner...

Attached Files:

• Chess.jpg
      File size:
      10.6 KB
    • g2.jpg
      File size:
      46.4 KB
  5. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Very very nice.
  6. Gearz

Gearz Member

thank you :mrgreen:

Ugghhhh.. Hard lesson learnt # 27. + proof positive pretty pictures don't make pretty models..

textureplacement.jpg Think ahead when placing chess pattern textures on your mesh. Although not practical in a majority of cases, where ever possible, position the squares so they intersect at part joins ( not across them).. luckily I can adjust this mesh to suit the texture.

g3.jpg Propeller Blades ~ contra-rotating ~ for beating air into submission ~ six of.

Attached Files:

7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

It's always nice to go for something different!! Though not a fan of the Thunderbolt but I'm anticipating this design... :D
  8. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks Lex. I might have been a little misleading talking about a Thunderbolt, this project will (eventually) be of a fictitious aircraft from the PC game Crimson Skies ~ a Devastator. I wanted a companion model for the Pandora airship I'd developed from the game, although in hindsight, I wish I'd chosen a simpler subject as a first attempt at developing an aircraft.

Attached Files:

9. Gearz

Gearz Member

Well this has been a little disappointing, after lovingly building these textures for over a year, my dumb printer spit out shades of brown. The 3d model is red, the pics of the test build are red.. BUT.. the model is actually brown-ish.
    * So much for my new four colour printer!! stomp.. crash.. bang.. [Expletive deleted] [Gesture deleted] ..

Ok.. lessons I've learned so far..

# 1 ~ I forgot the KISS rule = Keep It Simple Stupid! ~ I've made the 3d model far to complex = to many faces = to many flaps = to hard to build.

# 2 ~ Don't get impatient! I've jumped ahead and development sections of the model, that relied on a parent sections being build-able.( they weren't !!)

# 3 Don't be seduced by pretty texturing until you KNOW the model can be built. ~ I've spent more time focused on the textures than the 3D mesh. ! when it came to test building ( and realised it needed re-design) 70 % of the textures had to be done again.

# 4 Plan your development out in logical steps before hand. ~ I've attacked this project from the middle, and then tried to work toward both ends ~ dominos ! one problem rippled to the next section etc etc

Ugggh.. the list goes on.. Probably the BIGGEST mistake I made, was not to asking for some advice from some of the Aircraft Dev wizards here.

The Aviation modellers will find ( probably) the design methods and construction a little unorthodox, with a Hodge Podge of techniques used on different sections. Not really knowing what I was doing, I've fallen back to tried and proven methods.

This is a test build of the main components. The only major hiccups are the four wing tip sections, I'm not real happy with the way they attach to the inner wing sections. ~ hard to attach ~ to much room for misalignment. Plus the nose cone has too many segments /rings.

Attached Files:

• M1.jpg
      File size:
      110.2 KB
    • M2.jpg
      File size:
      115.3 KB
    • M3.jpg
      File size:
      135.1 KB
    • M4.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
  10. bclemens

bclemens Member

Gearz, thanks for sharing the experiences and the issues you're dealing with. It's nice to know I'm not alone :thumb:
    I've been running into very similar issues and have learned a lot in trying to design the things I"ve been working on.

I tell my students that they should always operate at the edge of their limitations- that's the only way they can push against them.

Kudos to you for what you've been doing! Keep up the good work.
  11. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thank you Bruce What you've said about limitations is to true and a great philosophy. I have the overwhelming feeling I've jumped in at the deep end, still, I can't walk away from a challenge so its down to 'it' or me, and its going to be me ~ no matter how much ink and paper it

12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Wow GEARZ, you really put out some nice work! :thumb:
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is pretty cool! I love the wing design :) KISS - you must watch judge judy :)
  14. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

It doesnt look like too many rings in the nose section but thats really whats going to be needed to insure a symetrical shape there. Your fuselage seems very true as well/straight. Looks dam good to me so far! A complex, somewhat at least model is whats going to be needed to arrive at a realistic looking bird!
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Those parts looks alright to me, not overtly complicated ^O^ --Pusher prop canard biplane fighter? Now that's awesome!!
  16. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks for the comments and insight guys. I guess I'll have to get over my "slab + 1 flap" mentality, and forge ahead.

Chris ~ lol.. K.I.S.S has been around a Loooong time, but I can image JJ using it in court..

One question.

I've only seriously looked a joining strips on one other model ( The Pandora Airship from the same game) The method I use in Metasequoia is ~

* Duplicate the part
    * Use the 'Knife' to cut a 'ring' off the end of the part
    * Delete the unwanted section
    * Rescale the 'ring' down . 001 ~ .002 % depending on the size of the model / card thickness etc
    + see attached pic.

This method works great for uniform shapes. When it comes to conical / odd shaped forms etc etc.. it gets real ugly. Is there any other method of making them ( using META) or have I missed any TUT's / posts / solutions addressing this ?

Attached Files:

17. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

You can do them in the graphic software after unfolding in pepa, it's not that hard. I suggest you look at Jan Muller's aircrafts at
    JM precision cardmodels - Offline
    Hope that helps.
  18. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks for the tip Lex! The site is down due to a server move, but I'll check it out as soon as its back up and running. :thumb:
  19. Janx

Janx Member

Looking really good to me, nice unusual subject too. great job so far :D
  20. what do you mean too many rings? I don't know how you could achieve what you are going for with any less? I think your work is great so far. Very enteresting design. If you want a beata builder I would be happy to help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.