Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Tyson Rayles, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Charlie the row houses around here all looked exactly alike and I don't think I'm a good enough scratchbuilder to pull that off. I settled on American Model Builders laser wood kits. They list for $25 but I got em' for $20. Each kit makes 3 house which is less than $7 per house and has enough material left over to add a front porch on em', so all in all not a bad deal. The row houses around here were one story and small (about 500 or 600 sq. ft.), they also had front porches (which the kit maker hadn't figured on) so these fit the bill perfectly.

Attached Files:

• kit.jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
  2. Tyson Rayles

Most of the ones around here were on concrete slabs so I did the same thing using balsa wood. One down ( I know it looks like two but it's the same one ), 5 to go :eek: . Sorry about the pics being a little fuzzy, to tired to re-take em'. :D

Attached Files:

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Those are perfect Tyson!
    :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Once again, you've put together something that is the essence of Appalachia!
    Man, if you could cobble up one of those old wringer wash tubs to go on that porch, you will have the "real McCoy"!
    Nice work!

p.s. Whatever ya dew, don' fergit t' thrrow in somma dem dawgs! :D
  4. Tyson Rayles

Hmmm, I see I forgot to put the stoop by the backdoor! :eek: Charlie thanks and those that the front of the house faces the front of the layout will need some assorted junk on the porches! :D
  5. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

and probably a rusted out car or two on blocks somewhere on the property.:D :D

That tobacco farm is right out of a picture from the highway. I swear I have driven by that place in my trips from Virginia back to St. Louis. It is a great piece of modeling.:) :) :)

Love the locos coming out of the tunnel too.

Keep the pics a'comin'!!!

:) :) :)
  6. Tyson Rayles

Thanks David :)
  7. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Wow, Tyson! The layout is looking great! I just got back from Missouri, where there is a lot of terrain like that.

The board has been busy while I was away...gotta lot of catchin' up to do!
  8. Tyson Rayles

Thanks Rory, if you were in Mo. yuou should have stopped in and harrassed, er, visited Casey Feedwater! :D