Progress Report

spitfire

Well folks, a major amount of progress has taken place today! The electrical outlets are in, flourescent fixtures mounted and wired, and the first two pieces of backdrop are up.

Next step: prime and paint backdrop - whoo-hoooo!

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• mar31.jpg
    mar31.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 172

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Nice to see the progress Val. What material are you using for the backdrop? Now comes the challenge, what shade of blue do you choose for the sky.
I am still amazed by how clean you keep the workspace.

spitfire

Thanks Tyson - you're a little optimistic. I'd say re next weekend!:D :D :rolleyes: :D :D
Thanks Jon and Robin. The backdrop is 1/8 masonite. The mess is behind the camera, hehehe.

Blue? Yeah, good question. Anyone have any suggestions there?

cheers
:D one happy camper

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Val, I am using Canadian Tire A30-4 paint for my sky. Still doesn't look right but just look up at the sky and the shades of blue keep changing so I guess you just have to pick one of them.

belg

moisture

Hey Val, I hate to be the bearer of bad news,but I think that because you did not insulate and vaporproof behind your backdrop I think humidity will become an issue for you, no matter how dry your basement with changes in weather you will get moisture.I think if you take the backdrop back down and just fill in between the wood with our famous ridgid insulation and then some of that plastic you have on the ceiling you'll be much better of. If you can squeeze in the budget I would install some blueboard sheetrock for extra protection. On a lighter note I used Behr premium plus Thalo blue flat wall paint.

spitfire

Thanks 88!

Belg, thanks for the advice, but the masonite is nailed and glued in place, so I don't think taking it down is an option... without wrecking it that is. :(

cheers
:D Val (still a happy camper)

Drew1125

Val,
It's looking really great! Isn't it exciting to get a new one off the ground ?
And relax about the humidity...I've had masonite screwed into firring strips in my basement, without ever having problems...& you can drown in the humidity here in the Ohio Valley!:rolleyes: :D

My only suggestion would be...& this is strictly optional...a valance in front of the lights would really be a nice touch.

Can't wait to see more! :)

TR-Flyer

Ah Charlie,...that would be a "Val" - ance.

I agree. Anything you could do in the future to hide the light bulb and just allow the visitor, and you, to see the effect of the light would be a plus. Easier on the eyes and helps focus everyone on the layout. Also, your eyes will perceive the depth of color better.

Concerning the moisture issue raised by Beig. Just to be safe, leave the bottom of the cavity and the top of the cavity, behind the masonite, open so air can circulate behind it. This should alleviate any problems. There, got to use my architect stuff with my train stuff! My momma would be so proud!

Really enjoying your photo essay.

Keep it up!
Ted

spitfire

LOL Ted - a Val-ence it is! In fact, the first thing I thought when I turned on those lights is how BRIGHT they are! At 5700¡K you practically need sunglasses in there. So, I must agree with you and Charlie on that idea.

Charlie, thanks for the reassurance on the humidity factor. It's too late as far as I'm concerned to tear down and re-do it - I'm too anxious to move on.

And thanks to Dick also. I will be sure to keep you posted!

cheers
:cool: Val

Vic

That's looking good Val:) :) I admire your "neatness":D

I may be a bit late on the blue sky color:( Just remember that the color of the sky varies from a light color at the horizon to a darker color as one "gains altitude":) Prime your backdrop white before painting the sky in....it will make it go much easier.

Hi Val, are you sure that's the same basement you first posted pics of?? :eek: :) :D . What a transformation!!
I can sense the excitement building up, success does that to us.
If you really think about it, the sky is generally closer to a white than blue and as Vic said, prime the board with white undercoat to seal it or all your sky colour will be soaked up by the board.
I'm chuckling at what looks like 200 watts of lighting you've fitted, super for photography but i'm wondering if it will eventually bleach the colours of your models over a period of three or four years.
All in all, you're well on the way to a great layout. Well done!!

Errol