Progress on trolley module

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Those of you who have seen my new trackplan will know that I added a peninsula for a city/trolley module, which will be 10 ft x 3 ft, accessible from both sides. I started the benchwork last weekend, and began laying track last night.

Most people try to fit as much track as they can into a given area - I try to fit as many buildings!! :eek: :rolleyes:

So, this first shot shows how I am making sure that my plan for the buildings, fits in reality.

Val

Attachments

• module1.jpg
    module1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 310

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
This photo is a closer view of the streetcar tracks - and no, they will not meet at a right angle! LOL!! :D :D :D

Funny thing about trolley modelling. With trains, we're always struggling to find room to have decent radius curves, but with trolleys the opposite is true. It's a struggle to model the tight radii of the prototype.

I'm using an extremely generous 9" radius. Prototype would be more like 6"!!

I found a source for girder rail and curved crossovers (6.5" radius), but I can't wait to place a special order. I'm laying track NOW!!!!

Val

Attachments

• track.jpg
    track.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 307

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Looking good Val. Glad to see you got enough interest to go with a more elaborate plan than you thought you'd want back when we discussed possible plans. I'm looking forward to watching the development!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Gary, Pete, Mikey and Robin!

This is section 1 of 2. I just finished laying the track. I have tested it -- with a 40 ft. boxcar since I don't have any locos that will handle a 9" radius! :eek:

The next step is to raise the surrounding area to track level and start paving. I am going to work on this section first and then start the next one.

Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Val: I have one slight concern with your track plan: the crossing in the loop at one end. Crossings in trolley overhead are one of the hard things to do; can you arrange it to go around the other way? Or are you going to use pantographs, like a certain other gauger?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Bare wood, no scenary, track just placed to give an idea where it will be...and your layout already looks great! I really like the placement of your buildings. The city has a pleasing realistic look. Fantastic backdrop too Val. Very nice. Can't wait for more!
Ralph

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
60103 said:
Val: I have one slight concern with your track plan: the crossing in the loop at one end. Crossings in trolley overhead are one of the hard things to do; can you arrange it to go around the other way? Or are you going to use pantographs, like a certain other gauger?

David, I eliminated the cross-over. I really liked the way it looked, but the tightest crossing I could find would have put the 2 tracks too far apart. I since found some cool track and crossings made especially for trolleys, called Orr Girder Rail, but I would have to wait over a month to get it, and you need a special tool to bend it so I decided to go with the flex track and no crossing.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Chris, Tom, Ralph, and Tyson!! :)

SAL Comet, the city module is higher. The mainline will pass underneath it. Where that happens is the RR station, so the tracks will be "underground".

Right now I am tearing my hair out over the whole issue of putting streets in. They have to be level with the top of the tracks (actually a beensy little bit below). And I have to allow for the thickness of the brick sheet that goes beside and between the tracks - yikes! Off to the hobby shop I guess.

Val

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hey Val, don't limit yourself to available crossings, lay your own. It will give you a great look which you'll compliment so nicely with your scenic work. Don't know about the problems with trolley poles, have to leave that to others! Process is easy when the track will be in pavement. I lay one route, then bring second up to first, continue on other side, then cut two pieces to fit between. Spike then use cutoff disc in Dremel to open gaps as required for wheel flanges. I used some 5 minute exopy like stuff to build up the frogs. Not a good shot and nothing painted yet, but you can see where I soldered leads to the rails in the diamond from the burn marks. My plan for adding street is to use .040 styrene cut to fit between the rails with .020 on top of it cut more closely to the rails. Be a bit of fitting involved, but no big deal. Rail is code 70 so that should work. When in pavement ought to look good.

Gary

Attachments

• P1010584jpg.jpg
    P1010584jpg.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 174

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
That's cool Gary! I never thought of spiking directly to plywood like that with no ties. Wish I had, because it's the ties that are causing all the trouble. Anyway, sorry but the crossover is toast. I already laid the track without it.

Here's a progress shot from tonight. I'm putting wood supports for the brick that lines the track right beside the ties, and outside of that is the styrene which will set the level for the pavement.

Val

Attachments

• track.jpg
    track.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 175