progress on my layout

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Steve, I wanted to get the inclines, not the risers. The risers are no good to me without the inclines
I actually may just do that Deano. I like this car as is, but it is pretty glossy.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
I just meant that instead of cutting the risers to make inclines it might be better to buy some inclines an use the risers you already have for the level elevated section....don't know if that is feasable or worth the extra expense...just a thought. Good call Deano, never thought about how to handle a collector car...makes sense.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I have to see if I can be lucky enough to stumble on another car like this, I really like it a lot. I don't want to destroy it!

Steve - I don't have all that much room to have an elevated section. The plan was to have the inclines, with a bridge between them. Still not too sure why

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
VP, I finally understandhamr .....I'll be quiet now.....but not too quiet (LOL)

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Mmm, it's certainly "unique", it would be interesting to see how much operation use you could get out of it.

On the Sci-Fi computer game "Half Life 2" there's a prison called "Nova Prospekt" which is run by an alien race known as the Combine - it's where civillians are brought in on Combine trains (very futuristic and cool looking) to be held captive in the prison, until they're converted into Overwatch soldiers or things called "Stalkers" that are basically mutilated people who work combine machinery and build combine structures. The soldiers and stalkers leave by train to be taken to nearby cities, towns, and Combine installations.

I was thinking of modelling this a while back, as I'd seen only a few "futuristic" layouts in my time and found the idea very intriguing.

sal29

Sep 10, 2006
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Those are some great contributions to the thread there buddy. I especially agreed with the bit where you said "hhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggg". LOL. Either your keyboard is shot or you're spamming. :p

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok then. Thanks for contributing Sal.

Can, I am still thinking about doing this. Not sure I've seen anything like that ida used before on a layout

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
viperman said:
Ok then. Thanks for contributing Sal.

Can, I am still thinking about doing this. Not sure I've seen anything like that ida used before on a layout

I've seen some really weird layouts in my time - a prison in a remote place seems logical in comparison to a railroad that carries batteries from a recharging station to the bottom of a quarry, or a railroad carrying fishfood from the stores, and tips it in the lake at a fish farm!

A prison uses up lots of food, supplies, water, fuel for heating and cooking, and produces lots of waste and rubbish. All that has got to go somewhere, and in a remote place where there is no sewer, no water supply, no rubbish collection, but has a railroad nearby, taking it all by train seems pretty logical to me. :thumb:

Think about it, box cars, oil tanks, coal hoppers, armored prisoner transport cars, and armored locomotives - you'd have plenty going on there.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Exactly what I was thinking. Just about every type of car could be incorporated. Heck, I just may go and buy a bunch of undecorated cars, and paint them all for the prison RR

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Yeah, that sounds like it would be interesting - I imagine in real life all the freight would be courier, IE railroad owned or leased rolling stock, or just general freight, and the passenger cars would probably have the prison name on it. What are you going to do about locos? I mentioned bars on the windows - someone else mentioned that there was a prison somewhere that did have it's own railroad access, maybe he would have some insight into whether standard locos or armored ones were used?

Any ideas on what you're gonna call the prison? If you're looking for names I could probably help ya out there.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I'm not that far yet. I'm still just tossing the idea, though I am pretty sure I'll stick with it. The only loco I have thus far is a BN GP40-2, with the basic Athearn RTR detailing. I don't have any passenger cars so far, what are the longest wheelbase passengers that will run smooth on 18"? I could always go the cruder way, and use stock/cattle cars for transporting the prisoners too

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
viperman said:
I'm not that far yet. I'm still just tossing the idea, though I am pretty sure I'll stick with it. The only loco I have thus far is a BN GP40-2, with the basic Athearn RTR detailing. I don't have any passenger cars so far, what are the longest wheelbase passengers that will run smooth on 18"? I could always go the cruder way, and use stock/cattle cars for transporting the prisoners too

18" will probably just about take a 60 foot passenger car. Thats only a rough guess though, cause I'm not used to HO radii - I use British 4mm to the foot rolling stock rather than 3.5 mm to the foot, so "60 foot" cars to me are more like "70 foot" cars in your scale. When I'm running American stock on my layout I never have a problem because I designed my layout to take larger British models, hence I have no knowledge on the subject.

jasonboche

Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
Canopus said:
I've seen some really weird layouts in my time - a prison in a remote place seems logical in comparison to a railroad that carries batteries from a recharging station to the bottom of a quarry, or a railroad carrying fishfood from the stores, and tips it in the lake at a fish farm!

A prison uses up lots of food, supplies, water, fuel for heating and cooking, and produces lots of waste and rubbish. All that has got to go somewhere, and in a remote place where there is no sewer, no water supply, no rubbish collection, but has a railroad nearby, taking it all by train seems pretty logical to me. :thumb:

Think about it, box cars, oil tanks, coal hoppers, armored prisoner transport cars, and armored locomotives - you'd have plenty going on there.

One time each year, usually in April or May, the city I live in has a day where they will come and pick up virtually anything you set out on the corner - furniture, old Xmas trees, bath tubs, carpet, scrap wood, beds, water heaters, etc. And they will dispose of them for you. My wife calls this "crap on the corner day". It is actually very entertaining watching all the junk people drag out of their houses, garages, and sheds to the corner to be picked up by the garbage haulers. What's even more entertaining is all of the "vultures" driving up and down the streets on into the night with pickup trucks, trailers, and flashlights going through everyone else's junk to take back new found treasures to their dwelling as their own.

But I digress. My ramble was in a way related to model railroading. Since my layout is operations based, I'm planning on instituting a "crap on the corner day" for all the industries on the layout. It will be the responsibility of the operator to haul around a train to all the undustries to pick up all the junk. The train will be complete with MOW crane and gondola(s).