progress on my layout

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I was thinking of putting a deep cut in that corner with a road under it going to the lumber mill, then on into the town. Maybe I could do a tunnel, and have the road going over the tracks instead

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
The curves have a gentle, smooth look to them. I bet they'll look great with scenery added. Boy, do you have lots of potential for businesses, towns, industries.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I can't wait to get the scenery started. Still not sure how the town area will look, but I have some ideas for the lumber mill, which is the big part of the layout

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
What worked for me was start stacking foamboard or something to open up your imagination for elevations next thing you know you'll be adding hills with vehicle bridges and all kinds of stuff you never thought of before. :wave:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Steven...
It is always great to see your progress pics!:thumb: You are doing a super job:thumb: :thumb:
I agree with Lynn...sometimes you just have to go for it and things will become clear. As relative new-comers, it is difficult for us to plan everything out in advance (due to a lack of experience). There's nothing you can do that can't be un-done if you don't like it.:thumb:

BTW, you can get bridge shoes by Micro Engineering. Ask your LHS to order them for you and save the shipping. There are other manufacturers that make them too.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=H&manu=&item=&keywords=bridge+shoes&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

Keep up the great work:) :wave:

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Nazgul said:
Steven...

sometimes you just have to go for it and things will become clear. As relative new-comers, it is difficult for us to plan everything out in advance (due to a lack of experience). There's nothing you can do that can't be un-done if you don't like it.:thumb:

BTW, you can get bridge shoes by Micro Engineering. Ask your LHS to order them for you and save the shipping. There are other manufacturers that make them too.
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=H&manu=&item=&keywords=bridge+shoes&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

Keep up the great work:) :wave:
Oh how true that is Steven
For the bridge shows you can also make them out of plaster of paris and weather them up , beat em up make them look like they bin there for a while

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I think I will order those bridge shoes, eventually. Some bills have to be taken care of first though. I can always just weather them to look used.

Another thing keeping the building planning as slow as it is, is the fact I don't really have any. Again with the money thing. But the first buildings I want to get are the lumber mill buildings. I do have some, but not enough.

MadHatter, I am actually thinking of mixing up a blackwash to put over the ties, to give them a darker/dirtier look. I do like how they are now, but I think that would really set them off

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Sorry to have kept everyone waiting so long!

I was having a lot of problems logging in to the site when it was switched over to Zealot, but it appears to work fine now! Lots of things have been going on in the last 6mos since I posted. I'm renting a townhouse (moved in 6-24, day after my b-day) with my wife (as of 7-7-7) and son. At first we were trying to figure out where to put the layout, but with all the furniture we have, and limited room we have, it had to stay at my parents' house. The past few weeks we've barely even used the garage, so I want to move it here and put it in the garage, but I know as soon as I do that, shell want the garage for her car, so we'll see.
I also lost my job back in early-ish July, and have only been able to find a part time job, netting me about half the money I was getting at the other place. So modeling is the least of my worries, with rent, utilities, car, credit cards, food, etc.

As for layout progress, I really haven't made any in a long long time. Only thing I've really done is to paint some ties here and there, and do a little bit of work forming some small hills.

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Sounds like a run of unfortunate luck Steve, family should always come first. There's many things you can do on your layout when you have the time with natural products that don't cost anything.:wave:

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I have things I could be doing, with the supplies I already have, or with things found outside. But like I said, I don't have my layout at the new house *yet?*

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I have gotte some work done over the past few weekends. I put some big foam blocks down to build the base for where the tunnel will go through.

MYlayout-2.jpg

MYlayout-3.jpg

After that, I was able to to put some more foam down around that area, to start building the contour of the land, or at least the base for the countour.

MYlayout-9.jpg

I also applied some drywall putty in the bridge area, to build the slope down from the hill to the river.

MYlayout-6.jpg

MYlayout-7.jpg

MYlayout-8.jpg

I also got some ties painted where the tunnel will go, to prevent future problems that would come up if I forgot to paint them before closing the tunnel in. Although this picture isn't in that particular area, it shows the difference.

MYlayout-5.jpg

And now for a general shot of the area that I was working on.

MYlayout-10.jpg

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Steve, thank you for the compliment. I only have time to work on the layout on the weekends, and even then its not every weekend either. It sucks having my layout be almost an hour drive away from the house