progress on my layout

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
That should be all I need. Whenever I can get some 2" 4x8 foam pieces, I can start to lay the track down, to see where I need to put everything, followed by getting risers and inclines, then more roadbed, then laying track. Wow, I have a LONG way to go

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
viperman said:
Whenever I can get some 2" 4x8 foam pieces...
Remember that you can take thinner pieces and "laminate" them to get thicker ones. In some cases, this produces a stronger base than just a single piece, especially since all I have seen lately in foamboard is "pre-scored", with cuts made 16 inches on center. HAndy for installers, but very bad for strength of the entire board.

The foam board I put together in my 6-ftx10-ft layout (see URL in sig) is an assembly of three layers of 1-inch thick 4x8 sheets. It is one strong cohesive base.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok, tossing a question here. Running 18"r and 22"r curves, with a GP40-2, 40' boxcars here. Would you say this would 70s? Now what if I mention I have some modern cars (Dodge Viper for example), would this ruin the whole era thing, or would I have a small branch/local line which uses older equipment, as the tracks were laid long ago, or perhaps budget reasons?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
umm...you can use old EQUIPMENT...but paint schemes change completely with in 15 years, and by then, there's just a ghost of that paintjob hidden under the weathering. What engine are you thinking about running in the modern day, with the dodge viper?

Also make sure that ABSOLUTELY NONE of your freight cars have roofwalks on them.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Your GP40-2 doesn't have those extra windows, so don't worry. :D

Green was referring to engines with extra cab windows, like this:

Attachments

• pictures_14439_CR 2716.JPG
    pictures_14439_CR 2716.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 240

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok, last night I went to Menards, and bought two1/2" pink foam 4x8s. I had to cut them down to fit in the car, so by the time I got them home, they were 2x4s. I have one 4x8 assembled again, and glue drying under it on the wood. Once these four are done, I can get to work on the other three.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Have all the pieces of foam glued down now. Just waiting for the glue to cure for a couple days, and I'm set to start work!
mytrainset-31.jpg

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
That is a very rough sketch of an idea that popped into my head, while I was messin around downstairs. May not fit so well, if at all, but I do like the rough idea of it

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
YAY, you got some pink foam layed, Way to go Steven. Now you can start the real work:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

That plan is a very rough stetch, LOL, but I like the rough idea of it too. I use photoshop for my rough sketches.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Following Wiperman's rough sketch, I laid it out using Atlas 18"-radius sectional track using XTrkcad below (I think I remember him mentioning that he essentially has two 4x8s side to side):

I don't think he has room for a 4-feet-long bridge in that diagonal section (the bridge there is only 1 foot long!), but otherwise it's feasible.

Xtrkcad isn't the easiest to learn how to use, but it's a useful planning tool I think.. It's still a free download, no?

Attachments

• wiper.JPG
    wiper.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 174